Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Cuttlebug Spot Inspired by a Song


This week at The Cuttlebug Spot we're taking our inspiration from a song. I immediately knew the artist, Eva Cassidy, but as she's my fave, the decision of which song was pretty daunting. Eva has the voice of an angel and unfortunately she's with the angels now, having passed away at a young age from melanoma. She did not sing original songs, but was a genius at arranging the songs of others. Keeping the Cuttlebug in mind, I finally chose "Fields of Gold" which is fitting because it was the first song I ever heard her sing over the radio and I actually went online to the radio program listing to find the artist, it touched me so. I'd never particularly liked Sting's version but Eva's is magical. Her voice takes me away to a special place I hold in my heart. Please have a listen.





I made a shaped card using the frame from Accent Essentials, hiding the inside contours and welding them together. Usually I try to do my Cuttlebug Spot card with only the Cuttlebug, but I noticed on the Bontanicals Lite cart there was a sheaf of grain that I wanted to incorporate, so I used the frame again and welded that shadow of the grain to it. I thought this made a lovely foreground. My fields of gold are embossed with the Bird Call Cuttlebug folder that I fussy cut and popped. (I also cut off the bird) I used the Sizzix Tim Holtz Rays folder for the jealous sky and a Nestie Inverted Scalloped Circle for the sun.
To add a bit of texture to the sheaf I used the small dots from the butterfly cut and emboss combo set just at the tips.
I did quite a bit of popping to get the the amount of depth I wanted and inked everything in warm tones of Distress Ink to help enhance the embossing. The sentiment, of course, are words from the song, computer genterated and cut with Nesties Label One. The inside sentiment is also lyrics from the song that I need not share. You know...
I have no music on my blog but if I did, it would probably all be Eva. I hope you listened while reading about my card, and if you have a chance, find more of her music to enjoy. Now pop on over to The Cuttlebug Spot to see what inspires my fellow teamies. I'm anxious to find out myself. (I usually wait until the new challenge is up to post but I was anxious to share this one. Sorry if I jumped the gun.)

25 comments:

  1. Wow, Donna, what a great card and beautiful song. You really did the song justice...your card really describes the words. Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Beautiful card Donna and goes so well with the superb song, which I like too.Love the small dots on the sheaf, superb.
    Hugs Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna,
    Another super classy card. You really make a fabulous job of this style of card. Beautiful work.
    Hugs,
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donna, thank you so much for your kind words!!! It is wonderful to read!

    The song you have used for your inspiration I only know by Sting, but I am so glad you have put the link into your article and I am now listening to her voice, it is beautiful!! She sings it really like an angel!

    Your card is very beautiful, as all your takes are!! TFS (a new word I learned thanks to my DT friends!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant, Donna! I love it. Gorgeous color and design. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GORGEOUS!!! It's just all so perfect, Donna! Not a Sting fan AT ALL, so it was a pleasure to be able to listen to the song and lyrics and not have to tolerate Sting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning card and song! I love both the Sting and the Eva Cassidy versions. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is gorgeous, Miss Donna! Simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally with Margie..can't stand Sting (or maybe anything from his era, okay, maybe I am exaggerating) and getting off point...
    the song really was lovely and the card is so warm and there is something really very special about it...

    xoxo

    p.s. I have a table if you are in need of one....;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Firsts, I loved your card. Second, I am mesmerized by the voice of Eva. The song is so wonderful it brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing both your card and the lovely Eva.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  11. Donna, you're right, Eva's voice is beautiful!!! And so is your card!!! Actually, your card is more than beautiful -- it's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. again, you have worked your magic, this is stunning. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. donna...this is UNBELIEVABLE!! I need a lesson!!! ive been staring at this for a few min now and i am in awe!!

    hugs!!!

    meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. D-
    You think of everything! I love that shape from the botanicals cart. And, I think I like this version of Eva's song as much as the one by Sting. And those rays of the sun...so nice.
    Hope you are staying warm and dry!
    NJB

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!You don't know how much I needed that song and video today. What a voice and a serene feeling......I may need to come back and watch it every day...

    Your card matches it PERFECTLY! It is so warm and relaxing...you made an unbelievable color choice.
    Maria :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is absolutely beautiful! I first thought it was a picture frame! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing card! Your wheat is stunning! I'd never particularly liked the rays embossing folder, but seeing the way you've used it has changed my mind! Wow!
    Thanks for the video link too. I've never heard Eva's version before - only Sting's. I love Sting and even have a Sting exemption clause with my wedding vows - just in case. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this card and all the embossing! You never falter...everything you make is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful card - great song choice too!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful card Donna. What a way to play tribute to a wonderful singer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sitting here, trying to think of the appropriate words and I am totally drawing a blank. How can I do justice to the awesome video and the simply gorgeous card? I can't! So I think I'll silently slip away and continue with my reflections! TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!