Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bah! Humbug! Stencil Challenge


Oh WOW! Those gals at Bah! Humbug! sure know how to make a challenge! this week it was stenciling. Now I know there are lots of ways to stencil, but I had purchased the brass kind with embossing paste eons ago and thought this was the PERFECT time to try it. Ahhh...not so much. First of all, I couldn't find the brass stencils I'd purchased. No surprise, considering the way my craft room looks at the moment, but that embossing paste was no picnic to work with either. Tape the stencil down and use a spatula as if you were frosting a cake. Okay, but every time I lifted the stencil, the paste sort of globbed and covered some of the finer lines. It took me 7 tries to get these feeble results, finally realizing that since I wanted to use white glitter, it would show up better on colored card stock...duh! And also it's best to tape the stencil down on ALL sides and hold it down while applying the paste so it doesn't get under the stencil. Slightly harder to remove it that way (and be sure to lift STRAIGHT up) but this, at least was a fairly clean image. The problem was my paste is translucent instead of white so with the iridescent glitter it isn't nearly as bold as I would have liked. (Great, DH just came in and said he could hardly see it without tilting it at an angle. Thanks, hon! Best I could do)
So if I couldn't find my stencils, what did I use? I peeled the brass part of the Sizzix Simple Impressions Embossing dealie out of the folder and Voila! They have tons of these at Custom Crops and they're only $1.00. The DP is My Mind's Eye Wonderful Winter, which has a bit of sparkle, with white glitter paper mats. Card stock is Stampin' Up and the sentiment is a peelie I cut apart. Don't think I'll be trying this technique on a regular basis but you never know. LOL Thanks for the inspiration, though, ladies.

11 comments:

  1. ROFL well, it turned out pretty gorgeous... Tell DH that I can see it quite well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that is why I didn't hear back from you today, lol. It came out beautiful, even thought it was a little bit of work, dah...lots!!

    I love it D, I didn't understand what you did with the Sizzix die, but you can tell me when we talk tomorrow. Awesome card, I missed this weeks too..

    Hugz, xx

    ~L~

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have me cracking up!!!! Donna!!
    Your card came out great!! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I think it's fabulous and the effect shows up great in the photo - love the subtleness of it. I used the same kind of folder to create my card and can't believe you can buy them for a dollar. They are about £5 over here. Just come from a blog where she had bought her snowflake Cricut cartridge for $12 (about £25 here) - really do think I need to move!
    Have a good day Donna and thanks for going the extra mile for us at Humbug Hall.
    Ann xxx
    Bah! Humbug! DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna this is truly a traditional beauty, love your stencil work. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang you, woman. You just made me check my calendar!

    Gorgeous card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Donna,
    What a fabulous card. I love the colours and the stenciled image is beautifully done. I love this one.
    Hugs,
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I can understand 7 tries for getting the pasting just right, but I'll bet your first 6 tries weren't as bad as mine would have been! Your card is beautiful! I debated about pasting up my stencil, too, but chickened out and used the light box for dry embossing instead. You're so much braver than I am! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna, although you had trouble, this card turned out beautiful. I can see the image perfectly, and it has a nice sparkle to it. Looks perfect to me. Sounds like your DH is like mine, sticking his two cents in, lol! Have a great weekend. It is snowing in NY again.

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you had a heck of a time with this one but the finished project turned put gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome card! You must have the patience of Job! I don't think I would have tried that many times.. lol but the completed card is well worth it. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!