Friday, August 9, 2013

Flowing Friday at Smudgefest


EIYIYI!  It's Day 5 at Smudgefest and I'm still hangin' in there.  Today almost did me in, however.  We were to use "flowing medium" like watercolors, liquid ink, liquid glue, you get the idea.  WAAAAYYY out of my comfort zone.  I'm a papercrafter, not really an artist, and I prefer stuff I can control, like markers or pencils.  At first I tried to get all "artsy" with sprays and stuff but to get them to "flow" you've gotta spray them pretty close to the paper and they got all muddled, not at all as I'd hoped.


  I finally decided on Distress Reinkers and a water brush to color with.  I tried in vain to print images on my printer, but the watercolor paper was too thick to feed so I gave up.  I did have some Watercolor Postcards and decided to find a rubber stamp to paint.  Settled on one from the Smeared Ink Occasions Grumpies set (retired in rubber but available HERE in digi).  Thought a Birthday postcard would be something I'd actually send.  The postcard was pretty textured so the solid parts didn't stamp as well as I'd hoped, but it was workable.  Of course I used StazOn so it wouldn't bleed.  What I was surprised to find out is that the inks bled if you weren't careful, but I finally managed a so so project.  Spent an hour looking for the Grumpies sentiment "Party like a Grumpie" that I'd planned to use but had to find something else.  Bummer!  I'm just glad it's DONE!  Is it Happy Hour yet?


I'm thinkin' that since this really is a Postcard it'll qualify for the Simon Says Monday Air Mail challenge, too.

8 comments:

  1. So glad I'm not the only one who had trouble with this challenge...I like to use paper people have already designed for me...lol...and I don't like to get messy. You did a great job coloring your grumpie. Hope Saturday's project is an easy one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea makes sense to me-- Love it missed you today but I had fun and spent way toooooo much
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Anything Goes August Linky Party. Have a great weekend my friend
    DIANA L.
    dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. really cool, such a grumpie card.EE

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! Thanks so much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice of flowing medium. I love this post card..specially the little monster!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy days ahead!!! this is adorably grumpie pants! the watercolor edge is gorgeously done and the big grump is so cool! stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab job with the distress painting! I've done that technique in the past, but like you, I much prefer my markers or even digitally coloring for more control. Love that image!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your grumpie looks wonderful!:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!