Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Cuttlebug Spot All Tied Up Challenge


We're all tied up at The Cuttlebug Spot as this week we used string or twine on our projects. I decided to do something a little different for a change. I've been dying to try the faux leather technique using the Cuttlebug and came across this wallet project on SplitcoastStampers. I followed the measurements, but wanted to make a more "tooled leather" Western look because I wanted to lace around the edges of my wallet instead of machine stitch. I started with kraft paper and used the Cuttlebug Floral Fantasy folder which is an oldie, but is still available at Custom Crops. After embossing my cardstock, I inked the embossing a bit with Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink and then the entire thing with Versamark and heat embossed it with clear embossing powder. OOOH, COOL!


The inside is lined with bandana print paper by MS that I though captured the Western feel. It is held closed with tiny thin magnets from Basic Grey. They are really strong little suckers and had to be attached with Glosssy Accents and left to dry a long time!

Besides doing the lacing rather than machine stitching, I changed the orientation of the gusset pieces so I could lace through them too for reinforcement. I used my MS Score board and piercing tool to pierce evenly around almost the entire wallet. I did it flat first before adding the gussets. Then was kinda tough to get through the gusset pieces because they had to be taped in place before piercing through them as well, but I used the already pierced holes as a guide. I managed by piercing into a small rubber eraser so as not to tear the card stock and voila! the final embellishment was a metal button brad by Recollections that I had to glue on because I forgot to attach it before I taped on the inside lining. Still worked though. LOL Be sure to have a look at The Cuttlebug Spot for more fabulous DT inspiration.

38 comments:

  1. OMG! This looks for real Donna! And its really just paper? That's the coolest thing I've seen in a long time! WOW! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cool! You have got more talent in your little finger than I could ever hope for! Love this, and the bandana paper is the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not believe that this was made out of paper. it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. are you fooling us? that wallets is leather and you are not fooling me :P

    amazing job! i am always amazed at your creativity my friend. excellent job and take on the challenge.

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Donna! My Dad used to tool leather back in the 70's/80's, and this looks so damn real! That clear embossing really gives it the sheen of oiled leather. Gorgeous! Reminds me of a little kidney shaped coin purse my Dad made me as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow Donna what an amazing project!! This looks so so real and you are so so clever and creative! Love this!
    Hugs
    Juliexxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna, this looks like real leather!!! How amazing!!! And what a great job you did -- as always I'm too impressed by your talent, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I've seen it ALL! Holy smokies, this looks so freaking real! I can't believe how authentic it looks. WOW. Beautiful. Craftastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna, I can't believe how stinkin' real looking this is!
    Dang! That is just SO cool!
    We are off to Vegas soon and really looking forward to it and some alone time with the hubby..
    hope you have fun at the Expo if you are going!!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Donna, OMG, this is fabulous, you are so inspirational. Have a great week. hugs Jodie from Oz xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember that faux leather project on Splitcoast and wanted to try the technique so bad, of course never got around to it. You did such a wonderful job with the technique, totally looks SO real! I LOVE it. It would be the greatest gift idea--just add some cash and it would make a big WOW statement!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is brilliant Donna! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this is just FABULOUS!!! I LOVE the fact it's lined too! Are you sure it's only paper - LOL
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow wow wow.....this is just amazing Donna looks real you clever girl!!!!! hugs Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  15. Once again you WOW me with your creativity!!! You should make a tutorial on how you made this!!! Cant believe it is paper!!!!


    Sandi(daveshunny)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the CB embossing folder you used, very clever! The hand stitching is a great touch...I love the look!

    As usual, I come to your blog and am never disappointed!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. HOLY COW, DONNA!!! It's AMAZING! Swore it was the real thing. Perfect embossing and inking and love the interior paper. Turned out really, really fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome job! It looks so much like the real thing! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing project, Donna! I would have never guessed that this was paper. Very cool. Nice job with the embossing. I wouldn't have thought to ink it up and dry emboss too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sound like an old record, but is this really paper??? This is perfection, and looks like a lot of work, but it is beautiful!!!!!! You have done this challenge proud!

    LOVE IT

    love
    Jannie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Girl..I looked at that and wondered why you were showing us a wallet instead of a card !!
    Goodgooballygoo!!! That is awesome...I swear I thought it was a fancy smancy western wallet !
    You rock, Donna !!!
    xoxo Joy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Donna, this is brilliant! The faux leather look so real...totally had me fooled!

    (-: Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! I love it!! I am new to your blog I can't wait to see what else you have made!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow!! I'm so glad I found this blog. Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, your wallet really does look like paper, absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG...This is too cool, I thought it was leather. I thought to myself, with all that she is into now she making leather goods too? Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow this is like a real bag, amazing work x

    ReplyDelete
  28. You tease.... this REALLY IS leather. Don't deny it.
    Just kidding of course, because I have never seen anything paperish look so leatherish and it would take a Donna to pull it all off.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  29. so so cute, and such an orginal gift for someone, love it, thanks for your creativity

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this card. Great job on all the layers.
    Sylvia
    Www.bellascrapbookdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Donna this is gorgeous! I have to make one now! I love love that folder and will for sure be picking it up. Thanks for all the inspiration:) You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow - this is amazing Donna!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just had to come and look at that purse again... I think it's cheating if you just buy something from a handbag shop and say you scrapped it! lol. Just kidding! I can not get over how real it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. SAY WHAT! I have been staring at this forever! OMG... I along with everyone else thought this was real! Oh DONNA! This is just jaw dropping! I just love everything about it! The embossing, the twine the inking, the idea... the everything!
    TFS

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is fantastic!!!! It looks real... really!! I can't take my eyes off it!! Do you have a tutorial too, Donna?! Please please please make one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sorry, I forgot the SCS link you provided! Thanks@

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!