Monday, March 21, 2011

BBTB2 Paisley Dachshund Challenge


This week our BBTB2 Challenge was chosen by our sweet Melissa in honor of her adorable pup, Spooky. We're using the dachshund cut from the Paisley cartridge, but if you don't have Paisley, choose another dog from any cart to play along. I wanted to try something different than my usual and was inspired by the sentiment I chose. I decided to make a sort of "missing you" card for my good friend and next door neighbor who dissappears from January 1st through April 15th because she's a tax attorney and estate planner. I cut two of the dogs but in this case I didn't weld them.

I did my usual multiple layering including adding glasses, also from the Paisley cart. The embellies included Prima flowers and adhesive pearls and I scored the edges of the doggie sweater with my MS Score Board to make it look more like ribbing. Because the shadows are so BIG with the Paisly cart, I decided to doodle around the entire thing. As you can see in the pic, the shadow and regular layer of the front dog is actually cut apart.
So the card could open and expand. The hard part was figuring out how to keep it closed. I cut two of the sweaters and trimmed them so the back part could slip under the front part of the sweater and the front could slip under the back ribbing. Inside I added an accordian pleated strip attached to the center of the back and to the edges of the front dog at the edges where it is cut apart.
Full opened, you can read the sentiment which is how this card came about. Ya think she'll get it? I used Plantin Schoolbook Roly Poly font (my fave from that cart) and cut them twice and glued them slightly offset because that font has no shadow. I couldn't get a pic with the card fully extended because it was too long. Cloes the card is (about 9 x 5 1/4" closed and almost 20" wide when fully extended.) I really was hoping I could fit it in a legal envie, but cutting the dog any smaller (she's cut at 4 1/2") made the inside expandable strip too narrow and fragile. As it is, it's only 1 1/2" wide by 11 inches long. Fortunately it will be hand delivered. LOL Now go have a peek at BBTB2 at the fabulous project by the rest of the team, and remember, you have 2 weeks to complete our challenges. Hope to see you play along. I"m also entering this in the Fairlytale Challenge Blog where the theme is green and pink.

39 comments:

  1. Oh oh oh Donna, this is just tooooo cute. I love it. Not sure I understand what you did here, but it's just way toooooooo cute. ABSOLUTELY love it. Did I happen to mention that I think this is a cute card? hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extremely creative and crazy but I like it, you know how much I like it~? A LOT x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leave it to you to come up with something so so creative for this cut. Yes, I think she will "get" it and LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done it AGAIN.... this is not only the CA-UTEST Doxie but I love that little twist to the sentiment inside.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Donna your card made me smile! Look at those glasses! I loved it when I saw it on BBTB2 but now wow love how you designed the whole thing. Absolutely fabulous! Your neighbour is going to love it!
    Hugs
    Juliexx

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha...okay so this card made me giggle..cause I know someone who would love a card like this..she loves her little dachshunds :) Cute card..TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just too cool, Donna. Love the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely PRECIOUS Donna! Oh I just love everything about this sweet card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGsh.. How stinkin cute is he!!! Love the paper you used and definitely creative!! Great job!!

    Hugs,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I've seen it all!!! This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. misses donna, you did it again! awesome. did you know i bought this cart for the doxie? i never got to make it but yours is totally and inspiration. love how it opens and the sentiment couldn't be better. tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMGosh Girlfriend do you ever rest, lol! Another inspirational project, so, so, so Cute, the glasses are a great touch and Love how you keep it closed, great idea! Your neighbor is going to Love It, and definetly get a giggle out of it too. Now you got my mind thinking again and I have to say Thanks again for being so inspiring.
    ((Hugs)) Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  13. All I can say is that this is one cure card. Pure genious Donna. Hugs...Kris

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cutie!! Love the colors you chose. Question: What type of dimensionals do you use? Anita

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just when I think you can't get any more creative you come up with a really cute play on words and creative design...love it! Your neighbour will be tickled pink!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG Donna, you are AMAZING! This is cute beyond words. And my favorite colors to boot. Gotta love the glasses too:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my - this is just too cute for words! Awesome job Donna!
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  18. ROFLOL! This is priceless!! My sis-in-law would go crazy; she loves dachshunds. I don't know what I love the most: the colors, the sunglasses? I think it's the engineering genius that is so you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, girlie. I loved your poochie card before I came to your blog - loved the paper and the sunglasses, but OMG - I adore the design (how is that for a run on sentence?)!! Love how the card opens - this is just beyond your usual fabulous. Amazing...!

    xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely amazing!! I know I say that every time. I'm running out of good descriptive words for your work. So, I've gone to a synonym site and I've come up with this:

    arresting, sensational, stunning
    impressive

    Those will cover it for today.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This has got to be the cutest dang dog ever! OMG, Donna! LOVE her style! The card design is genius as is the sentiment! 20 inches?! That's got to be some kind of record!

    ReplyDelete
  22. D-
    As usual, simply splendid! So clever. You always make something so "cookie cutter" into something marvelous!
    NJB

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a cute card Donna! Love the shape and the papers you used for the dog!

    Hugs,
    Larissa

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, what a stuning doggy! Thank you for joining us at Fairy Tale Challenge! xx Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello
    wow this is sweet, this is an amazing card. The design and colors are stunning.

    Thanks for joining us at Fairy Tale Challenge.
    * Karla **

    ReplyDelete
  26. Not only is this adorable but so creative how it opens. Love the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Okay... I LOVE this card! The colors alone are perfect but the whole concept! Donna... please give me 1 ounce of your talent... PLEASE! Again I am still at your blog commenting... this is why I can't just stop by... never leave!

    ReplyDelete
  28. love this.. you always do amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  29. O-M-G!!!!! This is one of the cutest cards I've seen in a really long time!! I love the way it opens and the papers and colors you used are just perfect! FABULOUS!!!!
    hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, this is just SO cute and clever. Love it! Thanks for the links to the BBB2 as well!
    Cheers, Karen
    alteredscrapbooking

    ReplyDelete
  31. OMG, this is amazing! Girlfriend, I just love how you do all that layering -- really makes it pop!

    Love the colors, love this card!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Girlie you are so creative, you make me sick with jealously! I love it! The embellies are awesome and the way she opens up for the sentiment is wonderful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Funny and sweet! Your dog is fantastic. I love it.
    Thanks for joining us at the Fairy Tale Challenge.
    Hugs Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my goodness this card is so cute love the layers and how it opens up! Super clever!

    ReplyDelete
  35. cutest card ever!...it totally makes me giggle!...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, Awesome card!! This would be great for a friend of mine. I hope you dont mind if I give it a try. If I do, ofcourse Ill give you credit.
    Jess :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!