Thursday, May 28, 2009

Paper Blooms Emboss Resist Challenge




I love Wednesdays because that's when Paper Blooms comes out with their new challenges. This week it's emboss resist. I have to laugh that I stamp so seldom (even though I've got WADS of stuff) that I had to go to guest designer Tracy's blog to actually find out what that meant. Well the point of a challenge is to be challenged so I thought this would be fun, especially since I had bought a whole bunch of distress ink at M's on Memorial Day. I checked out my stamps and found this leaf block by Stampendous and stamped away. I couldn't figure out why my embossing looked so dull and difficult to see until I looked at the powder and realized I was using clear on white paper. It turned out much better when I switched to opaque white. Then I scanned my Paper Blooms, inks and papers and came up with this color scheme. I soon realized I do not have the right tool to rub the ink on the paper without making streaks or globs so that's why the color is so subtle behind the embossing. I used Dusty Concord and Weathered Wood Distress Ink.



Then I had to come up with some layout. (Where are those sketches when I need them. LOL)My dear friend Lillie and I had been talking about the Joy Fold card from SCS and I thought that might work. I looked all over the place but could only find the gallery so I had a basic idea but no actual dimensions so I cut the card to fit my stamped pieces. To hold it closed I used a length of ribbon instead of the raised label or little metal thingy (Man, my mind it drawing a blank here) and I gussied it up with a gorgeous double layered Paper Bloom and some MS punched butterflies embellished with adhesive rhinestones. The inside sentiment is Stampin'Up. Lillie helped me finally find the directions for this card AFTER I had made my own version but if you really want to see a Joy Fold card check out Lillie's Blog HERE. And be sure to stop by Paper Blooms to see their beautiful examples of emboss resist. Thanks for a great challenge Leah, I'm definitely gonna play more with this technique.

10 comments:

  1. Love it Donna! It came out so pretty! Love the white, such a pretty color combo:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Donna! So soft and pretty and I love that fold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the soft tones and delicacy of this pretty card Donna
    Hugs
    Lana x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an elegant card Donna!! I love that little peek-a-boo window there. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great card! I love the colors and all the details you added!

    ReplyDelete
  6. donna this is beautiful!! love the soft colors and your embosisng is fantastic as well as the inside is!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna, this is absolutely beautiful... I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous, girl! Love the shades of ink you used with the white embossing. I think I have that block stamp somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super pretty! I love the colors and butterflies! Thanks for playing along with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!