Monday, May 19, 2014

Aurora Wings Challenge #3


It's time for a new challenge at Aurora Wings Challenge Blog and our monthly theme is Butterflies. I've chosen the gorgeous Venetian Butterfly Mask for my project. 
 
I sort of have a "thing" for masks, so I decided to turn this beautiful stamp into one with a whole lot of fussy cutting.  It was printed as large as possible on an 8 1/2 x 11" card stock, once on regular (for stability), and 3 more times on pearlescent to give it all a beautiful sheen.

 
 I normally print with a Laser Jet Printer but it's acting up so I brought out the "big gun" Canon Professional Inkjet which seems to take FOREVER to print.  Much higher quality but...  I really didn't test how Copics would react on the pearlescent card stock.  Ummm, they don't exactly blend, they just sort of mush around.  I also found that when using the colorless blender, it sort of smeared the actual printed stamp so I stopped that immediately.  Not sure if it would happen with my laser printer or not, but it's all water under the bridge now.  I'm still pleased with how this turned out.  Unfortunately,  the iridescent quality doesn't show in any of my pix.


Here you can see the dimensional layers.  I've added punched starburst centers to the largest flowers and a combination of Liquid Pearls and adhesive flat backs throughout the design.  The antennae are wired with Liquid Pearls at the tips.  The mask itself was colored, glittered with microfine and embossed for additional interest.  Finally, I added some tulle a top a ribbon wrapped stick with which to hold it.  Please visit the Challenge Blog to view the gorgeous creations by my teamies and we hope to see you join us for our Butterflies challenge.

Don't forget to check to see if you're one of the WINNERS of last month's Monochromatic Challenge HERE.  The Shades of Blue Facebook Contest is still going on HERE.  And the winner's Announcement and Special Showcase of the Facebook Flash Contest is on our Showcase Blog HERE.  Always lots going on at Aurora Wings.

I am entering the following challenges with this project:
Simon Says Monday Botanical Challenge, Outlawz Paper a la Mode Flowers Challenge  May 17-23, Creative Fingers ATG or Girly, Simply Create Too Anything But a Card, Stamplorations Stamps and FlowersCreative Knockouts Lots of Layers, Lia Stampz Texture Challenge, and ABC Challenges "L" is for Lots of Layers.


27 comments:

  1. Stunning work Donna and amazing fussy cutting
    Janet xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly stunning Donna, I just love the way you've added dimension with all those detailed and skillfully cut layers.
    Huge Hugz, Lorraine xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. gosh! It is totally gorgeous, Donna :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work Donna! You amaze me in every project you complete. This one is a stunner. Thanks for the inspiration and for being there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely stunning, I had to pop over to your blog to see how you did it.....WOW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always look forward to what you come up with, Donna. This one blew my mind... again! (Your Steampunk one last month was incredible!!) I still can't believe how you fussy cut all that little bits in this image. The result is just breathtaking!! I'm so thrilled to have you on my design team. And thank you for all you do for the AW challenge blog. Big hug, Mitzi xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning creation. Love all of the detail & layering.

    Alicia (Outlawz PAM DT)

    MaxiBelle Studio

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Donna, you are amazing, your designs just seem to "work" brilliantly, you such wonderful imagination!
    All the fussy cutting must have taken you hours & hours of patience! I love this mask I've made two cards with it but hey they are not at all like this! big hugs Sandy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally AWESOME !!!! :-D xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow- you totally rocked this challenge! I love the image but you brought it to life and really made it sparkle and dance. Love, love, love this! Wow! Hugz!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow!!! absolutely beautiful!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is stunning Donna! You can see the sheen on the paper and it is beautiful. I'm stunned at the beautiful of this mask, so enough said! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your mask is gorgeous Donna I love the sparkle and all the soft pink hues. Have a blessed day, my friend
    DIANA L.
    dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the mask, and you are a great fussy-cut kinda gal too.
    Hugs
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty! I love the attention to detail. Wonderful details! Thank you for joking us this week for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Donna!
    I'm so embarrassed! I meant to say "JOINING" us...not joking us! That darn autocorrect! Thank you for JOINING us this week for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. I loved seeing your work. Please forgive me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, beautiful creation!

    Thanks for joining us at Creative Fingers Challenge and I hope you come back soon!

    Hugs
    DT Tiina

    ReplyDelete
  18. Donna: Your mask is amazing! Very glad you joined in the Simply Create Too "Anything But a Card Challenge" & hope you enter our new challenge tomorrow.

    Diane
    Simply Create Too Design Team
    http://DianesDigitalDesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your card is beautiful and so eye catching. Love the colors you chose! Thank you for joining us at ABC CHALLENGE! Good luck and I hope you will join us again with your lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is totally beautiful Donna. Your colouring is gorgeous as always. I love your creativity as you always put together such striking makes.

    <3 & hugs
    Lisa xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Donna this is stunning, I too have a thing for masks, have a safe and happy Memorial Day, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous creation! I love the shimmer and subtle colors, really beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Simply Create Too!

    Hugs, Marja
    Simply Create Too DT

    ReplyDelete
  23. Shut the front door gorgeous! Once again your eye for details has me drooling and you've left me want more!
    :Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow this is just so gorgeous, thank you for joining us at the ABC challenge for our 'L is for lots of Layers' challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. absolutely stunning mask! Thanks so much for entering our texture challenge at Lia Stampz this fortnight!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous butterfly mask! Thanks so much for joining us at STAMPlorations!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!