It's a new year and a new challenge at Aurora Wings and we've returned to our roots as a monthly challenge blog beginning each 3rd Monday, but we'll keep you inspired with a mid challenge post as well. To ease in after our break, our theme this time is the easy peasy
It only took me about 3 tries to finally decide on the images, but I've been in a bit of a kitty mode and was excited to find the fun Ballerina Kitties 3-pack stamp set exclusively at AW.com. I used the Accordion Flip Album 3D die from Sizzix to make a thank you card featuring all 3 of the adorable Ballerina Kitties. Unfortunately the picture of the entire project was done in panorama mode with my camera and this was the largest I could post on my blog without it getting cut off. You can see a better picture of my project in it's entirety, as well as those of my Aurora Teamies on the Challenge Blog HERE, or click on the pic above to enlarge it.
I did, however, takes individual pictures of each kitty before assembling the accordion card. Each is colored with Copics and for once, I kept track of colors because I find the BV (and V ranges for that matter) can be rather difficult to use and photograph.
Although I've been "fluffing up" many of the kitties I've recently colored, these little beauties came out better for me with just some subtle shading. When I tried adding too much texture, it looked a bit more like razor stubble, not the least bit fitting for these girly girls.
Cheeks and nose: V000
Inside ear and slippers: RV91,93,95
Tuts and floral wreaths: V0000,000,01,12
Flowers on tutus: same as bodies
As you can see, the palette is somewhat limited, but I've found that the Violets, and Blue Violets especially, are often affected by the colors around them in photographs. That's why I actually colored the die cut "Thank you" (Cuttlebug die) with the BV000 I'd used earlier instead of trying to find a colored card stock to match. In fact, I've found it often helps when choosing design paper to snap a quick pic just to see how the colors (especially purples) photograph together before deciding. Although it really doesn't matter if you're not planning on posting your project online, it saves a lot of time and frustration with photo editing if you know in advance how the colors work together in front of the camera. Haven't we all been there?
The die cuts behind the kitties are cut with the Spellbinders Scalloped Labels One die using DP from a old MAMBI pad. The swirls made me think of the beauty and excitement of the ballet and I've added some texture with my Swiss Dots embossing folder to the solid iridescent pink I've added to the frames.
The corner bouquets include large roses from Kaisercraft as well as small ones I've dyed to match the purples of the kitties using the BV01 reinker and a fair amount of rubbing alcohol to soften the color. They are tied together with tulle to further the ballet reference.
I hope you'll check out the fabulous inspiration from my Aurora teamies and Guest designers and come join our first challenge of 2018.
Here's how to keep up with all that's happening at Aurora Wings.
Aurora Wings Challenge Blog (New challenge through Feb. 17th)
I'm entering this in the SUYP #26 January Furrything Goes/Meuw Year Challenge, the DL.Art Thankful Thursday Winter or Thank you challenge, the DL.Art January Linky Challenge, Lil Patch of Crafty Friends #73, Simon Says Wednesday Use Patterned Paper, the Colour Crazy Challenge Week 1, TTRCD Week of Jan 9th AG, the Outlawz Twisted Thursday AG, 2 Crafty Critter Crazies Jan. AG/w critter (5/5), Colour Crazy Week 1 AG, Crafty Animals #10 AG, the Corrosive Challenge AG, ...