Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Special Baby Card


Well, I'm away on our anniversary trip enjoying the lovely accomodations and idyllic setting at Nick's Cove, but I do have something new to show you. I can now reveal a commissioned baby card. I've actually never done a commission before, but out of the blue, I got a phone call from the Mom of one of my followers who wanted to surprise her daughter with a card from ME! I was flattered and shocked that this sweet Mom would track me down and make her request and the date seemed soo far away (at the time) that I just couldn't refuse.

What I didn't realize is how I would feel about the huge resonsibility it is to try to capture someone else's vision and it made me pretty nervous. The nursery is done in navy (yeah, that's navy on the card, not black) and lime green with an alligator motif. I threw out about a bazillion designs before I came up with something I liked. I had pix of the bedding and stuff and I found the PERFECT alligator on Zooballoo. The baby blocks are from New Arrival and the pond and grass is from Create a Critter. It's all welded in DS to a rounded rectangle from George into a shaped front card (big surprise!) The design still bothered me until I added a banner from a Stampin'Up Treat Cone Die (the shadow for that was hand cut) with an Alpha Bead sentiment.

Inside I added another pond, directly under the one on the front, so it didn't show through when the card was closed, for writing a personal note and another teeny alligator. Isn't he cute? He's embossed with the Mesh Texture Cuttlebug folder, rather than the Tiny Mosaic that his big brother is embossed with, which seemed more to scale. The pond paper is Bo Bunny which is already textured and the blocks were embossed with Swiss Dots.

As you can see, it is FAT and required a custom envie. I often use the Crayon Box from TBBM for these which I decorated to match but I was in such a hurry to get this mailed to Louisianna that I forgot to take pix. BUMMER! I sure hope Jennifer liked it and was happy and surprised.

18 comments:

  1. Just ADORABLE!!!!I'm sure she will love it! Doing a commissioned card is nerve-racking, I know, you never think it will be good enough. Yours is, tho.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhhhhhh my bug!!! That is fabulous and now I'm wishing I had those square patterned cuttlebug folders. You knocked this one outta the ballpark :D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was waxing so poetically about the card I forgot to wish you a Happy Anniversary, so Happy Anniversary!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fabulous creation and such a different baby card

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, this is just fabulous and she is going to LOVE it! How special was that....her contacting you!!!! You should be doing this all the time with your creations. We could set you up a shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is adorable! I love how you layer the images!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Donna,
    I love this style of card you make. Really gorgeous.fabulous card.
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutley ADORABLE!!!! What a cute cute project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I am not surprised at all that she contacted you.. I am only surprised that you haven't been contacted before now.... AND who wouldn't want a card made by "DONNA".... I am SURE she is going to love it. Glad you are enjoying your time away... hugs from ukiah

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic card! You do the most amazing job with layers! I love all the texture you added to this card!
    Maribel
    ilovescrapping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. who knew that an alligator could be so danged precious?...this one is. What a wonderful card.
    Enjoy your anniversary trip. I know you will.
    Hugs
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great story about how this card came to be! Your work is so unique, not to mention that you are one-of-a-kind (and I mean that in the nicest way) so every project is ultra-special. I'm sure Jennifer will love this and it will be a keeper for a lifetime. Have a loverly anniversary trip and congrats! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful card to celebrate a great event! I love, LOVE the gator with the textured skin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your card Donna, all the details are so fabulous, so beautifully,congrats on the comission.
    Hugs Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is tooooooo CUTE! I LOVE all the details! Makes me want to have another baby! Ok... Maybe not that bad! LOL But it really is ADORABLE!

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  16. ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!! I love the big grin on the alligator. :)
    It turned out so stinkin' cute, girl! Just love your paper choices. Now I think I need that mesh embossing folder.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is awesome and so funny love the colors

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Donna, you know I'm one of your top 10 fans when it comes to your 3D cards...and I'm also a huge fan of the SYI cart...so it should come as no surprise when I say that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this card! Everything about it!

    :Dx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!