Saturday, February 20, 2016

Bearly a Clown Standing Shaker Tag


While checking out my fave Challenge Blogs I noticed a number of them calling for shakers, plastic, and/or recycling.  I'd been saving some packaging from facial blotter sheets (the curse of oily skin) thinking that it would be fun some day to make a shaker tag, (great for a child's birthday) and today was the day.



I started with an adorable image from Sandra Caldwell called Bearly a Clown.  I sized him for the opening in my packaging and colored him with Copics in bright circus colors.  I popped him in the opening and added sequins and tiny beads to shake.  BTW, I've been playing on the Sandra Caldwell Stamp Fans FB Group and having loads of fun.  Besides a really nice Group of gals, and a Progressive Challenge, Sandra pops up with some sneaky contests where you can win her cute quirky stamps.  Ya never know when, or what she might have up her sleeve.



The packaging actually stands and to cover the sides where it opens, I've added triangles of card stock.  In the back, there's room for a pocket for a gift card and Birthday message.The topper was made with a Martha Stewart punch. The bright curled ribbon adds a festive touch, don'tcha think?  Wanna know how it's done?  I thought so.

I thought I already had a tutorial for this on my Blog and could just link back, but I realized it was done for Custom Crops, which is no longer in business, so all the tuts and .cut files I did for them are no longer available... BUMMER! I wish I'd thought to take pix while I was curling all of these yesterday. but I'll work on another because a pic is worth a thousand words (although that won't stop me from gabbing here.)  LOL




Although you can use any width of ribbon, I find the 1/8 inch works best with the small bamboo skewers.  Tie tightly, an inch or so from the end, and wind ribbon around the skewer as closely as possible.  Tie tightly at other end, again leaving some bare skewer and spray with Fabric Sizing on all sides.  Blot with a paper towel, if necessary. Place skewers on rim of the baking sheet (so ribbon has no chance of sticking or burning) and bake in a 200 degree oven for twenty minutes.  Remove from oven, let cool, and slide or unwrap the ribbon.  If kinks develop, pull straight and let it rewind until kinks are gone.  It will stay curled.

I'm entering this in the 613 Avenue Create ATG/with Optional Twist Make a Shaker Project, Simon Says Monday Upcycle/Recycle, Simon Says Wednesday Shake it Up, Shopping Our Stash Fantastic Plastic, Creative Fingers ATG, the DL.Art February Linky Challenge, the Outlawz Twisted Thursday ATG/w Optional Ribbon Lace or Twine , Really Reasonable Ribbon Celebrate with Ribbon or Trim, Ai Shake Rattle and Roll, and the Southern Girls Add a Little Sparkle to Your Life (the sequins).

15 comments:

  1. Donna, this is just too delightful! I absolutely love the clown image and the beautiful treatment given him. This is one of those designs which proves "synergy" is real and it is possible for the whole to be greater than the sum of it's parts. The color integration is perfectly balanced. Even though your red topper and bow are dominant elements, they do not dominate. The eye still takes in the entire design and the curly ribbon and beach ball keep the colors in balance! Your truly are a talented lady. I will have to give this go, I think. Thanks for sharing another fabulous project with us here at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, that is supposed to read, You truly are a talented lady
    Hugz,
    Chana (an incurable grammar police officer)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shaker tag and love the bright colours and twisted ribbon curls--Thank you for Joining us at 613 Avenue Create
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card and lovely colouring...thanks for joining in our current challenge.xx {aNNie Southern Girls Challenge DT Member}

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, Donna, and I just had to come see how you did it! Wonderful project!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, love how you have recycled the packaging to make this bright and cheerful shaker! That clown is adorable, and the bright primary ribbons and bows look perfect! Thanks for joining our recycle/upcycle challenge this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This whole design is so clever, fun and colorful, and I absolutely love your curled ribbons! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to recycle that packaging to make this amazing creation! Love the bear image and the fun curly ribbon! Thanks for joining us again at Shopping Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute card. Thanks for the explanation on the ribbons. I cannot wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute shaker tag Donna! Thanks for playing along with the crew at SHOPPING OUR STASH for our "Fantastic Plastic" challenge this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous job Donna! Love the ribbon and thanks for the tutorial. Thanks for joining us at Twisted Thursday.
    Hugs Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable shaker tag!! Love that cute image and the pretty curly ribbon!!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow how fun is this shaker tag! Love the ribbon and thanks for sharing your process on it! Thanks for playing along with us over at Art Impressions!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome, Donna. Thanks so much for joining us for our Celebate Challenge. I love having you play along, and I hope that you will stop by to join us again soon. And don't forget to check out all the fabulous ribbons, laces, trims, flowers and more at Really Reasonable Ribbon.
    Blessings,
    Karen Letchworth
    Design Team
    Really Reasonable Ribbon

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Your amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your talents with us at Art Impressions!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!