Monday, August 16, 2010

BBTB2 Joys of the Season Cup Challenge


This week at BBTB2 our sweet sister Marina chose the cup cut from Joys of the Season. Of course my first thought was an "Alice" inspired card, but we'd just spent the evening with friends who have poodles (really BIG ones!). I guess I'm more the small dog type, so I decided to make a "teacup" poodle (or a poodle in a tea cup, LOL). I created a shaped card using the shadow of the cup from JOTS and the poodle (flipped) from Create a Critter. I welded the shadow of both, along with the resized heart from the "merci" cut (also Create a Critter) to allow for a decent amount of writing space inside. I really haven't used CAC before and I omitted the "layer 1" because the eye and mouth placement for the poodle looks weird to me. It was interesting to note that when using the shadow and regular cuts for the poodle, the layering pieces weren't exactly the right size so I played around with those until they fit to my liking. The poodle is flocked by running the pieces right side down through my Xyron and afterward her ruff and topknot were embossed with the D'Vine Swirls Cuttlebug folder. Embossing AFTER the flocking made the pattern show up much better than vice versa. I also cut the regular cup twice so I could add some detail to it.

LOTS of layers so I could achieve the dimension I was going for. IRL she really does look like she's inside the cup. The paper is from the 6x6 Sabrina pad by Making Memeories. This was a fun one! Be sure to stop by BBTB2 to see the wide variety of spectacular projects by my DT sisters, and we love it when you play along. Make it a new project though, not one dug up from the depths of your blog because it happens to fit, okay. What's the challenge in that?

35 comments:

  1. Oh Ms Donna, lovely as always!!! I adore your poodle!!! I have got to get some of those fabulous eyes!!!

    xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that is just so cute donna!!! love the poodle in a teacup!!!! hugs lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Donna this is too Stinkin Cute! I too love the little pupper's allthough I have a variety, LOL! I love the colors you used and thanks for the info on the flocking, I want to pick some up next time I take a trip to the city. I gave you a little shout out on my blog because you've inspired me to use LOTS of layers on my challenge this week and I LOVE how it turned out, I got so excited how all the layers looked I forgot to do any embossing on my project LOL! so Thank You for inspiring me to be a bit more creative, I will definetly be doing it again.
    Froggie ((Hugs)) Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, This poodle in the cup is so cute. The eyes are perfect and all the deimension. The poodle looks just like she is in the cup. So adorable.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe Donna I love your poodle in a tea cup, shes so so cute.

    Hugs Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWWWWW!!!! So CUTE!!! Love this one, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet image and the cup looks great. TFS Donna. Hugs Rita xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, the flocking and the embossing are such a great touch for your adorable little FiFi pup (I always call poodles FiFi, LOL). Love the French sentiment--so perfect! Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg!...this is freaking adorable!....so stinkin' cute!...i heart it!...

    ReplyDelete
  10. How incredibly sweet this is, Donna. Your dimension, as always, is fantastic. I love pink and black, it'll always be one of my favorite color combos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. just love it! i'm going to have to remember this one!
    liz :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this Donna! The little doggie is so cute! All the details work perfect together! tfs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute idea Donna!! She turned out just lovely!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  14. REALLY cute! I love it when a good idea comes together this way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Honey I'm home!
    LOL! Well we made it from our weekend of camping at the beach and my baby turning 6! =o)
    Oh my, your projects have been so wonderful and so vastly different! I think that may be a reason why so many are found of your blog...creepy to cute! =o)
    This card is certainly making me smile I have to say! I love her expression!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I checked the BBTB2 blog before I came here...well, your little poodle cup is the bestest! Such a great idea and you just nailed it perfectly, like you always seem to do. I just love it! Great job, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Donna...nice to be back visiting you. Life has been hectic and time is getting more limited.

    I love the flocked embossed poodle. If I think hard enough I can feel it :) Love the layering too. It's all in the details and in that area you are a master. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi Donna, this is just the cutest ever...hugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. Donna, just too cute for words. I love the poodle.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH Donna, this is soooooooo cute !! I love it :)).

    Hugs Monique

    ReplyDelete
  21. love love your tea cup poodle and too funny our mojo must have crossed! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  22. D-
    The color choices are great! This little poodle reminds me so much of Cricket. Love how she's in the teacup.
    NJB
    ps. - thanks for the comment about fixing my link!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awww such a sweet card. Love how you embossed the fur on her head and put bows in her ears. Looks like my dogs coming home from the groomers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. another darling card there girlie....the mix of papers and your embossing is perfecto....it turned out beautifully!!!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love your little teacup poodle! This is just so darling, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  26. "teacup" poodle --so darn cute!!! again, I love how this is cute and layered. I also appreciate the tip about flocking first then embossing - I'm so going to try it. I'm excited to learn that you use your Xyron to apply the adhesive for flock! I do this too because it is so even and free of mess!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great play on words!! That lil poddle is adorable...the entire card is !
    xoxo Joy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ohmygoodness! This is too cute, Donna!!! :)

    I love your shaped cards...I have to get me a Gypsy! ;)

    Thanks for sharing,

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  29. If that isn't the cutest thing ev-uh!!! She looks so sultry with them eyes! Brilliant design, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  30. haha a little french poodle this is too cute x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Super CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!! I love all the dimension and the adorable poodle in the teacup! you have such an awesome imagination! Love it!!!
    hugs
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!