Tuesday, August 24, 2010

BBTB2 Flamingo Challenge


Sorry for the late post here I've been sort of out of whack. DH went on a WEEK long backpacking trip and my schedule sort of went to hell. He's back safe and sound (and sunburned to a crisp and exhausted) but he's a happy camper and so am I. This week at BBTB2 our dear DT sister Melissa chose the flamingo from the Life's a Beach cartridge and added a twist. Our flamingos should be either patterned or any color OTHER than pink. I was messing around in Design Studio and decided that with no shadow and such delicate legs a shaped card was not in my future. (Well okay, this is sort of a shaped card, but you know what I mean.) When I flipped a second image and welded them together however, they started to look rather Art Deco to me so that's where I went. (I kept thinking Miami) I was dying to use one of my new Art Deco Cuttlebug Folders and set out to make something that looked a bit architectural and welded some rounded rectangles from George to make the base. Then I started layering, and layering, and LAYERING!

The card is about 3/4 of an inch thick and weighs a TON! Can't imagine what occasion it could possibly be for (although the flamingo heads sort of form a heart and our anniversary is coming up...no, not what I'm going for) and since it would probaby cost at least $5.00 to mail it ain't goin' anywhere soon. LOL The irridescent papers are from WalMart and M's and I couldn't resist some bling (also from M's). The rest of the team really rocked this challenge so check them out HERE.

20 comments:

  1. ooooh miss donna that is beautiful, and the embossing is gorgeous, love those loving flamigo's hun!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, I have never ever seen anything like this, it is so beautiful and I cannot stop looking at it. TFS. Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one does it like you... how awesome is this. Looks like you even put feathers on them... I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Donna another amazing card as always! I always love all your layering you always inspire me to try new things. And yes it is very Art Deco and so Miami, (even tho I've never been, lol) that is exactly what I thought when I seen it so mission accomplished. Love the bling and the feather's also, great touch!
    Froggie ((Hugs)) Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, How beautiful.. I love the colors, the embossing and the cool shape. Does it open?
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first thought when I saw your card at BBTB2 was Art Deco! I thought of the Chrysler Building immediately! Love the colors of the building and the flamingos. The feathers were an awesome addition.

    Glad DH is back and your life my return to normal... Funny how that happens, huh?

    xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobody layers as well as you do, chickee! Fantastic project!

    Tell your DH to wear sunscreen, dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is awesome Donna! it all works so great together!
    Carol<><

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna, this flamingo card is beautiful!!! And, you really do great layering!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I adore the Art Deco influence of this, it is totally "Miami" way cool. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very art deco looking and very cool!! I just love how you layer things. What a beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donna I LOVE all the layering on your flamingo card..it's pretty amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Donna! This is to the moon and back amazing!! Good choice going art deco in style -- it is perfect!! It looks like one of those layered wall hangings; a real eye-catcher!

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  14. holy crap!!!! How in the heck do you do it? This is spectacular--awesome--and well, so you...everything is just perfectly placed and your colors are perfect together..simple yet tells everything you need this card to say......YGG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome...I love all the layers! The flamingo should be Florida's state bird with as many as there are on the lawns on the retirees in St. Pete...lol! Don't you love what Walmart has done with the craft isle...it's about time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are amazing! I love it!
    hugs
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  17. I 8love* this - this personifies Art Deco - and it is just perfection. The feathers are a stroke of genius *and* they are perfectly shaped and placed. So elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally love the art deco style here. It goes so well with the flamingos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!