Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Aurora Wings New Release Showcase


I'm so excited to introduce you to the newest of the Aurora Wings Marie Antionette digis Day of the Dead Marie Antoinette.  Both Challenge and Showcase DT's have teamed up for this special new release on the Showcase Blog.  I was particularly thrilled when Mitzi added this Marie to the collection as Dia de los Muertos is a special celebration in our home.  It is a joyous occasion, a celebration of life, not death, and I wanted to keep the true spirit of the day by using the vibrant traditional colors associated with this day in Latin cultures.



Here's a closeup of the fabulous Day of the Dead Marie.  She's colored with Copics and I've added pearls and a feather to her lovely hair besides fussy cutting and popping the skull adornment.  I've also added a cross charm to her choker as the day is definitely a religious holiday honoring the life of departed loved ones, believing they continue their happy lives, with all things they loved, in heaven.



The sentiments are in Spanish, the first, "Cherish your memories". Celebrations include picnics at grave sites or around home altars honoring the departed. Fond memories are exchanged and stories handed down, which keep the loved ones near and ensure they are not forgotten.



La familia is todo means "Family is everything".  Although altars are made for all kinds of people, special to those who remember, including favorite celebrities, etc., it's mainly a day to connect with and honor familial ties.  If you are interested in the alters (or ofrendas) I set up in our dining room each year and my personal traditions and more about the day itself, please click HERE.

The gorgeous papers I used came from some older paper stacks from K&Co.  In fact, the cut out is from the cover of the Que Sera Sera stack.  The colors and feel were perfect.  Finally , I added a home made stick pin with a heart pin, metal rose and skull bead.  Both the Challenge and Showcase DT's from Aurora Wings have done amazing projects with this fabulous new stamp.  I hope you love her as much a I do and visit the Showcase Blog for more inspiration. And you can find more Aurora wings Dia de los Muertos digis HERE.

I'm entering this in the Simon Says Monday ATG Challenge and Fitztown ATG using Digital Elements. 

7 comments:

  1. Hello Donna!

    Wow, such an amazing, colourful card - you did such a great job on coloring the beautiful Day of the Dead Marie!
    I like the ideas with the little feather and how you did the necklace!

    Hugs,

    xx Karola xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you decided to take the traditional color scheme and give Marie (Hey, it's Maria!) the sultry Latina treatment with lustrous dark hair and smoldering dark eyes. Red, orange, and yellow in the flowers also pay homage to the Mexican tradition (Not to mention this whole card looks great with your current blog background! ^_^). Love the sentiment in Spanish to complete the theme you've got going. I get a wonderfully authentic feel from your make, which is sublime!! Thank you for joining the Showcase with this beauty, Donna!!

    Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna you have rocked this one! Love everything about her. The feathers and the necklace are perfect.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous Donna, I must confess, I did not even know this was a holiday/celebration.
    Your colouring is awesome as always.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! Fantastic color palette and great attention to details. I love details! Thanks for joining us at Fitztown Challenge Blog. Hope to see you again and good luck!
    Ema
    FCB CT Coordinator

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This card is absolutely stunning! The Marie image is quite unique on its own, but you've made it even more amazing by how you've built the card around it. I love your tribute to traditional Day of the Dead festivities by keeping the bright colors in place and the Spanish phrases are perfect! I also adore how you used the ribbon and skull. So clever! This is not only a great card, but it's a wonderful tribute to a beautiful culture. Well done and I'm so glad you shared your talents with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!