Monday, April 23, 2012

BBTB2 Bumblebee or Ladybug Challenge

This week at BBTB2 our sweet and lovely Krista has chosen either a bee or ladybug from any cartridge.  My first thought was to do an elegant card with one of the gorgeous bees available on Sentimentals or Art Nouveau but then something hit me.  Maybe it was the fact that I've recently been talking about my 40th (cough cough) high school reunion later this year, but I started thinking of punny "bee" sayings and...  Besides, although the 70's was a very important decade for me, but I'd never even used my Groovy Times cart.  I created the shaped card in DS, starting with the second shadow.  (I know, hard to imagine I skipped the opportunity to add a layer, but the card was getting too big for efficient use of paper.  Did I actually SAY that?  Must have been the Earth Day influence from yesterday.)  At first, because of the sentiment, I planned on using a hive cut, but I figured the peace sign was a lot more fun (and quite frankly, I was afraid some of you might not get it if I didn't reference the 70's in some way).



Then on to dressing my bee from Give a Hoot.  First I wanted his mouth to be bigger so I hid the contours of his face on one bee and then hid all of the contours BUT the mouth and moved it into place to cut. I popped the body layer and added some hand drawn teeth underneath. I had the perfect brad glasses and added beads for his eyes.  His hair and jacket came from PDDU.  I'd Googled Austin Powers and realized his groovy jacket was velvet so I flocked the vest from (? not sure which character) and added the lapels from the magician's jacket.  I really wanted to use that one, but the sleeves just weren't looking right with his multiple legs. Bummer!  I again referenced the 70's by embossing his wings with the Paisley Cuttlebug folder.  I'm particularly fond of the trim of his shirt.  He's mounted on an action wobble so he can Bugaloo the night away.  HeeHee!


The fun bright DP is from an old DCWV stack and the ladybug brad is Basic Grey.  The sentiment is computer generated and printed on a word bubble from Paper Pups.  I'm telling you, I had a ball making this card and it looks like the rest of the team enjoyed this challenge as much as I did so be sure to check out BBTB2.  Can't wait to see what you come up with!  

Thanks to all of you who answered our BBTB2 DT call.  Your response was fabulous and a bit overwhelming, making the decision a very tough one.  Carole and I will be notifying our choices by email this week and the new additions to the team will make their debut during the May 8th challenge.

I'm also entering this in the Scrap it With a Song 59th Street Bridge Song (Feeling Groovy) challenge.   (WOW!  Takes me back!)   I'm thinkin' you can't get much more "GROOVY" than this!  LOL

27 comments:

  1. HA! This card made me laugh out loud. So cute.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. from his embossed wings to ruffled shirt I adore the bee, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, this is so so creative! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first, I just thought he was an adorable bee with teeth and glasses. THEN, I read the sentiment, twice, and laughed my big ol' butt off! Groovy baby!
    This card is the bees knees! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha..I so love this card! It immediately takes me to the movie and all the great one-liners!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    ~Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg the first thing i thought of when i saw this card was austin powers! then read your post now.. too funny! i love this way groovy card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Beeee-ooootiful. I love this little card, it is so so cute, and that bee in one I would love to pinch his little cheeks. I love the sentiment. Hilarious.
    Hugs
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL.. oh Donna.. i can't believe (cough cough) you are having your 40th high school reunion.. you are way too young looking for that...
    This is just adorable, has anyone ever told you how darn creative and talented you are.. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna, this is freakin hysterical! How do you come up with this stuff? You are a hoot girlfriend. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your card and everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! This is just AWESOME!!! I LOVE the "Austin' bee and all his fun accents. The pun couldn't be more perfect! Groovy card baby! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love this card. The colors, the embossing and espcially the trim on the shirt. Cute, cute, cute!JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun project - super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, yeah, baby! Donna, this card totally rocks. I giggle every time I look at his huge smile and those chompers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. BAHAHAHAHA! This is just fabulous, Donna, love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG ... this made me laugh out loud!! Awesome card!!

    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very very cute even if i reall am afraid of the bees :O
    Very nice and colorful. Thanks for sharing in Scrap it with a song

    ReplyDelete
  17. That card is just so darn cute for the challenge - great details on it.
    Thanks so much for sharing wtih us and joining in at Scrap it with a Song.

    ReplyDelete
  18. HaHaHaHaHaHa....so stinkin' cute Donna! Austin would be honored if he knew he was made into a bee and would probably say, "Yeah, ba-bee, yeah!"

    :Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This card is soo darn cute! It has this retro feel, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is HYSTERICAL ! I LOVE it !!! What a great sense of humor ! Made me LOL !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So so cute!! And fun! Thanks for joining us at Scrap it with a Song!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Amazing card! All the little details are so fun to look at. Thanks for playing along at Scrap it with a Song!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow what an adorable card, love it! Thanks for playing along at Scrap it with a Song!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a cute card!! I love it. Very clever. Thanks for sharing with us at Scrap it with Song. Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  25. What everyone else said and more!!! Donna this is brilliant!!
    Hugs
    juliexxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!