Monday, April 16, 2012

BBTB2 Birthday Balloon Challenge

Did you miss us last week? Hope everyone enjoyed their Easter break, and I certainly hope you had a chance to stop by BBTB2 and get all the deets for our current DT call. There's still time, so if you missed it check it out HERE. But this week it's time for a new challenge. Our fabulously talented DT sister Jeri chose a birthday challenge with BALLOONS! What's a party without balloons, eh? And these may be from any Cricut cart so we hope you have a ball with this one. I'm afraid I interpreted this a bit differently than my teamies, but I've always had a thing for hot air balloons and the fact that I don't think I've ever used my Summer in Paris cart sealed the deal. When I started designing this in DS I had full intention of using the intricate swirly top cut for the balloons and was afraid to go too small so this ended up being really too big for a card (sorry Jeri!) so I made it into a birthday door hanger. None of the cuts (except "It's your day" from Celebrations) had shadows which would be a problem for the design I had in mind, so I made my own. The clouds from Create a Critter worked ok with a little fussing with an 1/8" smaller cut. The balloon shadows, however, were built with welded shapes from George. These were all welded in DS and then the fun began.
After cutting the swirly layers I decided the whole thing looked just too busy with the 3 balloons so I went back to the drawing board and decided embossing was the ticket. I trimmed the ropes from the colored cuts and also a section so I could emboss and pop the baskets separately. Each basket is done with a Stampin'Up folder. The deep orange is embossed with the Daisy Pattern European edition Cuttlebug folder, the tangerine with the Sizzix Bow Strings, and the bright yellow with Happy Birthday from ??? (hmm, have to look that one up, I'm having a senior moment). The cloud embossing was already in the Dotted Swiss paper by Bazzill.

Embellies included Prima flowers, a banner cut from the Carousel Cart and a liberal sprinkling of adhesive pearls.

I have to say, the layering took on a mind of it's own. I really wanted to create real depth and since it isn't a card...well...I guess I got sort of carried away. (I kinda have to say I love it, though. LOL) The rest of the DT has fabulously inspiring projects so pop on over to BBTB2 and have a look see. We're excited to see what you some up with as well, just be sure to follow the rules, stated at the top of the blog and have fun!


I'm also entering this in the My Craft Spot Make it Pop Challenge, and Simon Says Stamp and Show Anything Goes.

20 comments:

  1. Donna, sweetie, this is just too awesome for words. I love the embossing and the hot air balloons is such a great and different idea. Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always.... awesome design. I love each detail, the different embossing on the hot air balloon is just fantastic, I love the little pearls. Wow.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. well you certainly lifted off in this one, love it, the colors are cool, the embossing on the balloons, I love, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. A soaring success! I love it when you walk us through your amazing creative process. Your hanging masterpiece is so bright and fun and over the top (sorry LOL). I just got that sizzix folder and haven't used it yet. Looks awesome here. Hugs, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. GORGEOUS job with your project Donna!I LOVE all the great layers and embossing!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a smart choice! Hot air balloons often float over our house so close that we can wave (and get waved at) by the people in the baskets.
    I love your take on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous! Love the depth and embossing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm speechless (in a good way, LOL). This is just delightful, Donna. I want to hang this on my door. It is just so bright and cheerful. I thank you for your incredible take on the balloon challenge. You went above and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!This looks so well detailed Love it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh la la, Donna...looks like you're all ready for summer with this one! Did I ever tell you that we have hot air balloons flying right over our house throughout the summer? It's a spectacular sight! Just login' the colors on this one and dynamite job on the embossing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girlfriend, are you taking flight to Paris? Love the colors and the hot air balloons. I am with you, the embossing on the balloons really finishes it off. Perfect for a birthday door hanger.

    Hugz, xoxo

    ~L~

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, Donna, your take on this challenge is AWESOME!!! I just love your style! I really have a thing for hot air balloons lately and all these amazing layers are gorgeous!!! Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my blog. :) I'm so happy to be guest designing for Dilly Beans and maybe I can join the team if all goes well. :) I'd be honored to work with you and the other talented ladies. I'm loving all of your blogs as well! You seem like a very busy lady! You do awesome work and I love your broad range of projects. :0)

    XO ~ Amy Jo (follower)
    amyjrockstar at gmail dot com
    http://lv2scrapandfibrofacts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely idea Donna, I love your balloons, fabulous dimension and the embossing adds so much interest, love it. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful door hanger Donna. Love the hot air balloons with their fabulous embossing and all the great dimension.Thanks for playing at My Craft Spot this week.
    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous way to decorate! This is guaranteed to lift anybody's spirits. I especially love the embossing that you've done. Looks super!
    Thanks so much for playing along with us at My Craft Spot!

    Kate
    Small Bits of Paper

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh these are simply amazing!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Donna. Thanks for your kind ords on my blog and I apologise for not returning the favour on such a regular basis. Your work always has me in complete awe.
    In response to your question. pinflair is a glue gel, very similar to silicon glue but no smell. Is this one thing we have in the UK that you guys over the pond don't have? When using hot UTEE the gel isn't compromised by heat which is why I use it (and BD does) hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is amazing, Donna!! I love all of the great texture and layers! Wow! Thanks for joining the fun at My Craft Spot!

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow just wow! This is so long about I love about your project: the layers, embossing, colors, paper, design... did I miss anything?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Donna

    OMG, This is awesome, beautiful colors,fabulous texture,the layering is perfect....I love it all...

    Penny

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!