Friday, May 1, 2015

New Monthly Challenge at Gecko Galz


WOW!  Another month has flown by and it's May already.  And speaking of flying, our new Gecko Galz monthly Challenge begins today with the theme of  "Take Flight" or Things with Wings.

I actually worked with a bit of mixed media for a change.  (Yea, Me!)  To be honest, although I love the final result, getting there was a bit of a challenge. I'm not the most patient when it come to waiting for things to dry and although I've assembled a truckload of paints, stains, sprays, special finishes...etc, I'm somewhat timid about experimenting.  Fear of failing often rules the day and I pretty much hate getting my hands dirty.  That being said...



I started with a chipboard birdcage from Want2Scrap I've had in my stash for years.  I covered the back with one of the new designs from the Gecko Galz Toile Jolie Digital Paper pack.  I wanted the cage to have a sort of shabby chic feel so I brushed it first with Gesso and then with metallic gold acrylic paint and let dry. (or should I say blasted it with a heat gun 'cause I couldn't wait)  When dry, I sponged on ecru acrylic paint.  I wanted to add some Frantage embossing but couldn't heat from underneath because of the thickness of the cage and open areas so I dabbed Perfect Medium in spots, sprinkled on the embossing powder and heated it from the top.  WooHoo!  Just what I was hoping for.




The fab bird images and framed sentiment are icons from the May Free Birds Digital Craft Kit.  Each printed twice and fussy cut and popped for dimension.  I've added lace tape to the cuff of the hand and ribbons to the pigeon and flower spray.  The little resin lock on the cage door is Melissa Frances and I've strung gorgeous silk ribbon through the top for a hanger.  Please visit the Challenge Blog for fabulous inspiration of the rest of the team and we'd love it if you would play along.  All we need is one digital element from Gecko Galz and you're good to go.  (Freebies count, so subscribe to our newsletter and check out Pinterest, too.) A $25 Gecko Galz shopping spree is up for grabs.

I'm entering this in the Crafty Boots Things with Wings, Challenge, Simon Says Monday ATG, Simon Says Wednesday ATG, Not Just Cards Challenge #18, and All Crafts Challenge April/May.

7 comments:

  1. This is so pretty, I love everything about it.
    . Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved this when I first saw it so am especially pleased you chose to share it here. Love the way you used the paper on the back and those little metal flowers are fab. Thanks for joining in at Crafty Boots Challenges this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fabulous project, so much detail. Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful eclectic mix of embellishments and a lovely shabby chic art! Thanks for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous details...luv this! so glad you played along with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    sparkle & shine *~*

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous thanks for joining us at NJC xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    This is just to let you know that you have been placed in the Crafty Boots 'Things with Wings' Challenge. Many congratulations.

    We are offering the winner and two runners up from this challenge Guest Design Team spots for a future challenge, which starts on 22 June. Please contact me at CraftyBootsDT@gmx.co.uk if you would like more information about participating in this new challenge.

    Don't forget to collect a copy of the Crafty Boots Challenge badge from our blog.

    Kindest regards.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!