Monday, May 18, 2015

How do I Love Thee? Dream Wedding Challenge at Aurora Wings


Our new challenge starts today at Aurora Wings with the theme of Dream Wedding.  May certainly is the beginning of a frenzy of wedding activity and we, at Aurora Wings, hope to inspire you to get a head start on creating something beautiful for that special couple in your life.  I've enlarged and modified a center step card using the beautiful Bridal Veil image cut with the largest of Spellbinders Enchanted Labels 28.



Here's a closeup of the gorgeous Bridal Veil image. She's colored with Copics with a bit of additional shading from Prismacolor pencils.  Aurora Wings has so many gorgeous images that would be perfect for wedding cards, both traditional and non.  



I used excerpts from Sonnet 43 by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.  It was the inspiration for my design and I envision it a Bride's card to her Groom on their wedding day.  I've used two of Mitzi's floral images, Rose Corner Frame and Roses Corner 2 as embellishments throughout the design.  They are also available as a set HERE with a single rose stem image included.



I've flipped the corners in my printing program for the other side. and popped them all with dimensional foam.  The sentiments we printed on Champagne Royal Metallics by Wausau and cut with Spellbinders Scalloped Labels One.  I've embossed the side mats with the Swiss Dots Cuttlebug folder for additional texture.


What you can't really see in the top picture is the hidden tag pocket behind the main image.  Here is the tag pulled out from the pocket. Got a bit of a giggle because when I first posted this on the DT page, Mitzi said she didn't see this one coming, but she should have.  LOL


Perhaps some are a bit horrified by this image being used for a wedding card, but the final words of the poem and this image gave me the inspiration for the entire project. I've cut and matted the image like the first, using the same die but added a bit of distressing around the edges of the mat behind with the edge of my scissors.  There is tulle behind the Roses Corner2 which shows from the front wnen the tag is tucked into it's pocket and serves as the pull.


I find Ghost Bride hauntingly beautiful, don't you?  Even in death, I'll bet her love would still see her as the same gorgeous girl he married.  What could be more romantic than love eternal?  I get all misty just thinking about it.


So here's the card from the side.  I followed the basic instructions for a center step card, but enlarged the size by starting with a 10x12" piece of card stock. allowing the center portion to be 5x7" (and I actually cut it at 7" between the side portions) with each side section being 2 1/2" wide.  I've scored the sides at 1", 2", 6" (which gave a little extra "shelf" on which I've popped the roses on top) and 7".  I also made a separate 5x7" "pocket" with a 1/8th" depth that is attached by a flap to the center section and swings free to help stabilize the card in the upright position.  This whole design involved a lot of trial and error to accommodate the images that I'd already colored an cut.  I'm not going to tell you how many pieces of card stock went into the bin, however.  LOL

Wait 'til you see the gorgeous creations by my teamies!  Be sure to check out the AW Challenge Blog for additional inspiration.  I promise you'll be glad you did. 

Here are all the links you need:




16 comments:

  1. WOW Donna this is absolutely stunning, I just love how you've used Mitzi's Ghost Bride together with Bridal Veil with Roses and Lace images and of course not forgetting the beautiful Roses too.....Love it!!!
    Huge Hugz, Lorraine xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a delightful and clever touch you give to your project, Donna! I thought this was so beautiful when I saw the first pic - the gorgeous subtle coloring on the image, the poem, the die. Then there's the surprize tag with the "Ghost Bride" and yes, it is super romantic with the final line of the poem and the notion of love enternal! You continue to amaze me with your wit and creativity. Such a joy to have you on AW DT!!

    Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shockingly different, Donna! I wasn't prepared for that one, either. lol Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous creation! Love both images and the wonderful creativity of your project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna! Such a stunning card! I so admire all the layers and sheer beauty. Am very fond of the Ghost Bride! Love the whole project, awesome! Thanks so much for playing Distress It! Left of Center Creative Challenges!~kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a clever twist on a wedding card, thanks for joining us at A Gem of a Challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card - not too sure about the second one though.
    Thank you for sharing at Allsorts 'No Squares Allowed' challenge this week and good luck x Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your choice of image ,beautiful details, and the design too, thanks for joining Allsorts challenge, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful and creative. Thanks for sharing in Open Minded Crafting Fun Challenge.
    Rebecca, DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an amazing project! Your stair step card is just stunning - thanks for joining our Lovely Ladies challenge at Art Impressions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just love this Donna! I have come back for a look several times. Your colouring is absolutely amazing & the design twist so unique. Thank you so much for joining us at Left of Center Creative Challenges for Challenge 78 Distress It! I hope you can join us for our next weekly challenge. AELx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is stunning Donna, love both the images, your coloring is amazing!
    Thank you for joining us at Open-Minded Crafting Fun
    Milnie DT x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is truly fabulous, Donna! I love the two versions of the bride, and your colouring is beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us at Open-Minded Crafting Fun! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is stunning project Donna! I love how you've used the poem as the backbone for this and made the two versions of the bride - even though I have to admit the other one is a bit creepy. :) Thank you for joining us at Open-Minded Crafting Fun Challenges, Good Luck! Hope to see you back again soon.

    Hanne, DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so gorgeous, Donna! <3 I, however, did see this coming....with your dark side, combined with the romantic, along with the stunning creativity here....it's truly a creation by none other than you!!!!
    xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was amazing going through this post. I was just looking for some good ideas for my wedding arrangement and I am glad I came across this post. I am also planning to have a theme for my wedding. It is going to be in one of the NYC wedding venues.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!