Monday, April 18, 2016

Aurora Wings Say It With Flowers


Our new challenge begins today on the Aurora Wings Blog with the theme of "Say It With Flowers".  Mitzi has so many beautiful floral images that I had a hard time making a decision.  (Didn't we all?) I finally chose Primrose Elf because it is one of my favorite Spring flowers, in fact, I'd never seen them until we moved to California more than 36 years ago.  The tight little clusters in a myriad of colors looked like little bouquets to me and I was immediately smitten.  (Besides, Primrose Elf is holding a kitty and you know I love me some kitties!)

My project was cut with Spellbinders Grand Labels Four as a base with white accents from Elegant Labels Four, Fancy labels and ornate Gateway from Heartfelt Creations.  The dotty paper is digital from AMBillustrations



Here's a closeup of the adorable Primrose Elf.  She's also available in png form HERE on Etsy and on page 3 of the Big Eyes Collection in the Aurora Wings Digi Shop HERE, and also HERE.  She's colored with Copics using the fluorescent Pink and YellowOrange.  WOW!  They sure are BRIGHT!  I tried to tone them down a bit with my white gel pen outlines and a few other RV's (that I forgot to write down, sorry.)  All in all, I'm pretty pleased though, and they do look like the real primrose colors.  Also attempted some hazel eyes. What do you think?



"The Secret Garden", by Frances Hodgson Burnett, is also one of my fave children's stories, and the lovely gate die seemed perfect.  My first try was to cut them in regular card stock, but they weren't really sturdy enough to stay open, so I  tried again (and again, and  again, with shims and several different machines until they finally cut through my light cardboard (from the back of one of my card stock stacks.  Recycling, yea, me!) et voila!



The flowers are Prima, but I wanted to add centers like the real primroses so I used two tiny punches to add the yellow centers and colored some adhesive pearls as well.

Finally the dimensional shot.  I always use colored foam between my layers that I cover with transfer tape.  Not only can you cut it any size you want, but the colors disappear between the layers when looking from the side.  

Be sure to visit the Aurora Wings Challenge Blog to see the fabulous floral creations by my "Aurora Team" mates and please come play along.  We can't wait to see what you create.


Here's how to keep up with all that's happening at Aurora Wings.







31 comments:

  1. Love this bright little cutie, Donna! I adore the high-energy combo of hot pink with yellow. You can't look at this without smiling, and that's exactly how I like to feel in spring when everything is in bloom!! The gate die cuts are so charming, inviting a viewers in for a closer look into the Secret Garden. It's brilliant! Thank you so much for this enchanting inspiration for our latest challenge at Aurora Wings. Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So intricate and beautiful! Well done! So glad that you join the fun over Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Let’s Do the Polka” Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful card. A lovely design. Thanks for joining Aud Sentiments challenge. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card! I love that Primrose Elf and you colored her beautifully! That gate die is gorgeous too! It really does look like I am peaking into a secret garden! Thanks for playing along with us at DL.ART April Linky Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at TSB, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning, her hazel eyes are perfect and love the brightness of her and the flowers. Wonderful card

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely card, and you've colored the cute image so well, and also love the gate - adorable creation. Glad to have you sharing your anything goes card with us at Love To Scrap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love love this. So much pink... my favourite :) Thank you for joining us at Morgan's Artworld. Hugs Traci DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really striking colours and design Donna, it's lovely to see you at Stamping Sensations, many thanks for joining in.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! Lovely! Bright and cheerful! I love how you added the gel pen outlines to the flowers. Very clever. And those hazel eyes are to die for!
    Hugs,
    Glo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic colourwork on the image.
    Beautiful card.
    Thank you for joining at Stamping Sensations this month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So gorgeous!!! Thank you for sharing your card in our challenge this week at Cupcake Inspirations.
    -Sandy, DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this, Donna! Those gates!! They're perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am absolutely speechless! This card is so beautiful in every way! Thanks for joining us at Creative Fingers this time around:)
    Susan - DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous card and image-fabulous colouring and love the gates---thank you for joining us at Simply Papercrafts
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  16. You sure do have some mad coloring skills! This is drop dead gorgeous.

    Thanks for joining us at Cut it Up for our Spring Flowers challenge! We love to see you over there.

    Evelyn
    http://mylittlecraftblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous!!! Your coloring on this beautiful image is stunning! And I LOVE the gate!! Such a great idea. Thanks for playing with LTSCB.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning card! Love your coloring of this pretty image and the scene you made for her. Thank you for sharing your gorgeous card with us at Stamping Sensation.
    Eret x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous and those dies compliment the image beautifully x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful card! Thank you for joining us at Cupcake Inspirations. - Eva, Sweetie DT -

    ReplyDelete
  21. This really is pretty Donna - I love these images so much and am always happy when I can use one myself. Gorgeous colours and layout too. Thank you so much for entering the Crafty Calendar (Anything Goes) Challenge this month, lots of luck to you. Hugs Sue Pxxx DT

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW!!! This is amazing!!! Your coloring is gorgeous, the windows are so clever, just beautiful! Thank you for playing along with is at Cupcake Inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning. I love absolutely everything about this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely beautiful. The colours and design are fabulous. Thanks for joining us at A Beautiful Mess. Cathy DT x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely creation - Thank you for playing along at Polkadoodles this time xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW WOOW!! such a fabulous card..love the choice of image ..so so beautiful..Thank you for joining us at A Beautiful Mess.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, this is so lovely! Great ideas! Thanks for joining our ‘Book, song or movie inspired’ challenge over at Incy Wincy Designs Challenge Blog!
    Hugs,
    Karen C

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your card is gorgeous - I do love that gate opening design!

    Thanks for sharing at In The Pink - hope we see you join in the pink fun again soon!

    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful, I love the way you have set this Card up. Thank you for joining us for our 'Monochrome Challenge' at Morgan's ArtWorld.
    Hugz Samantha xx
    (AngelicBadgirl) DT

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is gorgeous. Love all the pink. Thanks for playing at Morgan's Artworld and good luck. Hope to see you back soon for a new challenge. Bettina DT Member at Morgan's Artworld xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!