Monday, November 14, 2011

BBTB2 Winter Woodland Joy Challenge




Morning! This week at BBTB2, our lovely Mona chose the "Joy" cut from Winter Woodland. This is just the kind of cut I love to design with because there's plenty of room to be creative. I've sort of been skating with some really simple cards this past week so I decided to make a nice fat juicy one. These are the kind I really feel a sense of accomplishment after assembling and although they're a royal PITA to make an envie for and to send, I think the recipient appreciates all the work that was involved. I've added snowflakes from Winter Lace and a swirl from Ashlyn's Alphabet and welded it all to my fave rounded rectangle from George (stretched to fit) in DS.

It is a shaped front card with just a few contours hidden (like the center of the "O" in Joy) so there would be room for at least a small sentiment without it showing through to the front. The inside mat is embossed with a Cuttlebug folder on each side. It's especially important to add texture to cards with such a simple color scheme. I've also embossed the Joy and swirl with Swiss Dots and glittered the snowflakes and "O" for more pizazz.


That "O" is not a separate cut on the cartridge, but I thought Joy looked a bit flat so I made one more cut of the Joy (and the shadow) and hand trimmed it out so I could pop one more layer. Adhesive beads are a bit difficult to stick to glitter so I tried a Viva Pearl Pen in red for the first time. I was happy with the way it worked, except for the fact that there was a tiny bit of bleeding (not really noticeable except to me and if you're really, REALLY looking for it). Upon closer observation, I think it's because as the liquid was settling, it wanted to absorb somewhat into the paper but the glitter sort of dispersed it. Had it not been as much of a contrast as bright as red, I don't think it would be noticeable at all, but it did prevent me from trying it on the flocking on my previous project because I think that may have done the same thing, only worse.


Here you can really see just how FAT the card really is. You'll also notice that I stickled the swirls on the embossed portions of the inside mat (because it looked so pretty on DY Sister Jeri's card last week). Thanks, Jeri! So, after making it through all of this, I'll bet you're more than ready to pop over to BBTB2 and see the fabulous inspiration from the rest of our team. Don't forget, you have 2 weeks to play, new creations only, you may substitute a similar Cricut cart if you don't have the one chosen, and please link back to BBTB2 so others can join in the fun. There's also still time to enter our "Boy Crazy" contest so be sure and check it out.

31 comments:

  1. Um...HOLY WOW!!! This is fabulous Donna...the red and white are stunning alone but the layers and embossing - girly you rock!!! This is simply beautiful!
    hugs,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!Almost makes me want to add a Cricut to my arsenal of tools! Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A truly Donna Fat card that brings joy to my eyes. As always, this is simply fantastic. Hugs
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooooooh Donna!!!! omgoodness!!! this is just awesome! i love the way it pops out and the red and white together are fabulous!! love love love it!!
    huge hugs Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, this is your signature look. Such a beautiful card. I love how you took the word Joy and turned it into this. You are so creative and such a DS magician. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Which Cuttlebug folder did you use to emboss the inside of the card? SO gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Donna, AND this is the kind of card I love seeing... just simply GORGEOUS.. would you share the size of the cuts you did??? PLEASE.. I love love this.. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!! I love your card! The red and white just make JOY pop. Always a fantastic job :)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing!! Can't get enough of all the layers and the embossing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This card is SO striking! I love all the layers. And even though it may have been a pain to make, it was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is stunning Donna, great card and an absolutely fabulous sentiment nice layout too
    Hugs Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful card, Donna, and your welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is an absolutely fabulous card. I will have to get my copy of Winter woodland out and make one. Sooo beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely stunning card. I love the red & white...and I'm in awe of your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty! Love the red and white!
    Carri~abusybee
    www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are the Queen of Creativity and I am always happy when you post these cards for all to see. You are truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So, SO stunning Donna! I absolutely love the simple red and white with all those fabulous layers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful card, Donna. Love it!--Pat N.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Donna, your card is so freakin beautiful. I love all the detail and yes, anyone who gets this card will know all the work that was involved...a true labor of love. You always do awesome things with DS..I always said I need you to give me private lessons. I have it and hardly ever use it because I don't know how. Anyone...love your work....as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow love love love this card. This one I am going to try.
    Thank you
    Linda in Stanwood

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow Donna this is a real snazzy and jazzy creation. It's full of Christmas punch with that crisp white and cheery red. Beautiful cut and embossing. I know exactly what you mean about the envies for these sort of cards though I too love making them but hate making the envies....lazy I know lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! Love the embossing and the awesome layers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Donna, this is beautiful as I have told you over the phone. Love all the swirls and snowflakes, and the color is so vivid! Awesome in the traditional red and white. You really rocked this challenge girlfriend.
    Hugz, xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is gorgeous, Donna! I love all those layers - and the white and red contrast is stunning! Best of all, I like the word "JOY". Doesn't that just sum up Christmas just perfectly?! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMGosh! This is just absolutely stunning!! I don't know how you do it, but you just knock it out of the ballpark each and every week. WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Donna, this is just beautiful! I am a huge fan of red and white Christmas cards and this one takes the cake! The the embossing and those fabulous layers!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, Donna! Love your card and love all the embossing! You know I think you do the best Christmas cards, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous you have done it again. Super card.
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. wonderful card, I love all the dimension of it. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!