It's time for a new challenge at Aurora Wings with the lovely theme of Winter Wonderland. Gotta say, this time of year I really miss (the idea of, ha!) snow and the very first thing that came to mind was the quote "Snowflakes are winter's butterflies" so I ran with it. Or should I say crawled with it? I knew I would be using the adorable Butterfly Sprite, but as for the design, well...?? It finally came together (yesterday!) as a card, but I toyed with the idea of a canvas, shadowbox, and even an ornament (which I still might do) but lack of time, and/or supplies forced me to take the easy route and allowed me to use my new Frosty Ice Border embossing folder by Shena Douglass that arrived just in the nick of time and saved the day. WooHoo! I LOVE how it looks with vellum, don't you?
I adore this little Butterfly Sprite. This one has simple wings, but she also comes with fancy wings HERE. I printed her several times so I could layer her up. The simple coloring was done with Copics and the wings were then covered with Be Creative Tape and frosted with transparent microfine art glitter. The main snowflakes surrounding her were cut with Impression Obsession dies and layered with JoLee's beaded centers. The little glittered ones with gem centers are also JoLee's. The sentiment is a sticker.
Here's a little closer look at the layering of Butterfly Sprite. I used Nuvo Crystal drops to the eyes on her head and dropped tiny diamonds on them while they were still wet. Instead of fussy cutting the antennae, I used silver wire to which I glued little plastic snowflakes I cut from a mini garland and again added little diamonds. A small layered snowflake was tucked under her chin, and finally she was adhered to a glittered acetate snowflake (from MAMBI) and then to a Spellbinders Grand Butterfly die that I ran through my Xyron and dusted with another type of fine glitter
And here's the dimensional shot. Gonna have to make a special box for this one. Doesn't anyone have any tricks for adhering vellum to cardstock? I thought I had some vellum tape, but it seemed to have yellowed and dried up. Yuck! I finally used some 1/8th " red line tape which did show through, but I remedied that by using a white sticker border to cover it.
The Stella Team has outdone themselves with fabulous projects, so I hope you go check out the Aurora Wings Challenge Blog and leave them some love. Also, this is our last challenge of the year and both teams will be taking a bit of a break to enjoy the holidays, so this challenge will run through January 14th 2017. I hope that gives everyone plenty of time to enjoy the holidays yourselves and still come play along.
Here's how to keep up with all that's happening at Aurora Wings.