Monday, October 19, 2015

New Challenge at Aurora Wings


I'm so very excited about this month's challenge at Aurora Wings.  The theme is Day of the Dead-be still my heart!  You know I love me some Dia de los Muertos!  To be honest, I've had this idea in my head for over a year so to actually gotten my butt in gear enough ahead of time to pull it off makes me all kinds of happy.  It did not turn out exactly as originally planned, but I like this version even better.  Grab a cuppa, this is a very long post 'cause I'm all kinds of thrilled about this and I'm feeling VERY chatty.

My biggest hold up was painting the paper mache monument.  I hate waiting for paint to dry and I'm not the swiftest at mixed media. I've got gobs of product, but don't know what to do with it all, so I just mixed some black and white gesso and threw in some sand.  WooHoo!  It turned out darker than I thought, but after a little dabbing of some Deco Art Bleached Sand acrylic paint with a natural sponge, I was good to go.



While waiting for the paint to dry, I had begun coloring the beautiful Bone Queen, also available HERE in the shop (with Copics) but NOT in these colors.  I'd planned on doing a less macabre version using the traditional oranges and yellows of the giant marigolds, often used on Day of the Dead alters, (conveniently also poppy colors).  However, as pretty as they were, those warm colors weren't all that striking against my tombstone... what to do?  

I decided to take inspiration from Mitzi's original print (also available as an ACEO print HERE)  and go with the red...ALL the way with the red, right down to the blood drips on her shoulders, which about gave me a heart attack since I'd already spent hours on coloring, especially the chest bone detail.  It's just Copics.  I was too scared to actually try to DRIP anything.  Too risky at this stage of the game.  Now for the reddish tinge.  I was a bit more light handed there, but found that with a Q-tip and red chalk I could get the shading I was going for.  There was a whole lot of fussy cutting going on, as I did pop her face and the closest blooms with foam.  Finally, I added a silver bird skull charm to her necklace.  One down...



Next came the florals for either side of my sentiment.  On the left is a Poppy corner. (Flipped in my printing program) Again, colored with Copics with some chalk detail on the leaves, buds and pods. The fussy cutting here was brutal, mostly done with an exacto knife.  I normally leave a little white border on imaged so delicate, but it wasn't right for the project.  That little web behind the pod was added for some stability and happened to help balance the design. Mitzi has a huge selection of floral borders and corners that can be used alone or in conjunction with her other beautiful designs.  You can find the whole collection in the Aurora Wings Etsy shop by searching by type of flower or in the Floral Collection of the AW Website's Digital Stamp Shop.



Finally, on the right I added Memento Mori.  This was a fave of mine right from the get go and also supplied me with the sentiment.  Again, I've colored with Copics and lightly chalked with red.  From Wikipedia 

Memento mori (Latin: "remember (that you have) to die"[2]) is the medieval Latin theory and practice of reflection on mortality, especially as a means of considering the vanity of earthly life and the transient nature of all earthly goods and pursuits.

The sentiment is computer generated, cut with Spellinders Labels Four and inked with Distress while in the die.  It's backed by a Grand Labels Four that was run through my Cuttlebug with the Tim Holtz Bricked folder to give it some texture and inked with Versafine chalk ink.


Finally, here's the dimensional shot.  I really planned to do more with the individual flowers on each stamp, but I ran out of time. The good news is, I saved the stamps in these sizes in my Printmaster program, so if I get the inclination to add more, I can at a later date.  

Be sure to visit the AW challenge blog for more fabulous inspiration from my DT sisters and please come play along.  Not all of Mitzi's Day of the Dead stamps are creepy.  There's an adorable Marigold Sprite and even a Catrina Doll Kitty. Check them all out HERE.


Always lots happening at Aurora Wings so here are the important links.


I'm entering this in the Altered Eclectics October ATG (Mixed media) Challenge, the Anything but Cute 31 Days of Halloween Mixed Media Challenge, Eclectic Ellapu Halloween/Dark/Horror, Glitter 'N' Sparkle Halloween Cute or Spooky, The Corrosive Challenge-the Dark Side, Love to Create Anything Creative/Mixed Media Goes, Left of Center Good Old Fashioned Horror, Chalk N Stock ATG with Chalk, A Step in the Dark October FB challenge, Simon Says Monday Monster Mash, Forever Dark 2 Challenge #5, Our Creative Corner Horror, The Mirror Cracked Tic Tac Toe (using Halloween, Time: my thought is that the sentiment references time, Red) and Dream in Darkness Halloween is Here.





22 comments:

  1. What a wonderful project Donna. Love the lo and colours xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breathtaking project at first sight! Awe-inspiring once you see the closeups and read all the steps that went into this Ode to the Bone Queen. Donna, you never fail to astound me with your creative vision, artistry, and skill! She is an incredible altar for the Day of the Dead. No words can truly capture how thrilled and impressed I am with this... *O* Thank you so much for the incredible inspiration for our new challenge at Aurora Wings!!

    Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. recuerde que usted es la mejor, Gorgeous, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous Donna. No wonder you wanted to share every detail, and I'm so grateful you did! I am also an impatient crafter and dislike drying time! The final piece is just so stunning, I'm so glad you went with the vibrant red against the grey - it really pops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wonderful. such perfection and delicate perfection at that...oh Donna I love it every detail. Congrats on this gorgeous piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stunning Donna! Your eye for details and creativity always bring me back for more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is really stunning, a brilliant piece! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eeeeeeeee !!! I think I have died and gone to heaven !!!! This is just mindblowing Donna :-D xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is amazing, Totally love your creativity xx Many Thanks for entering into the Glitter N Sparkle Challenge Blog xx DT Sarahjayne (aka Crafter Sarah) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning. Thank you so much for sharing. Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you... LOVE ME SOME DIO DE LOS MUERTOS stuff... This is incredible work, woman! Just incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely stunning project! Thank you for sharing with us over at The Mirror Crack'd challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful project full of creativity and techniques. Love the monument you made! Thanks so much for joining us at Our Creative Corner. Julia x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning! So gorgeous, really love the brilliant red. Love your DOTD project!
    Thanks for playing at Dream in Darkness!~kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful! You had me at the monument! So well done with colors and textures and layering! Wow, that red is gorgeous! Pssst...don't forget we need to see the number 31 somewhere on your project at our 31 Days of Halloween challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. All I can say is AMAZING. Well, I can add beautiful too. I probably shouldn't leave out time consuming but so worth it. Plain and simple - I love it! Such a cute card! Thanks for sharing how you did the clouds/background. It's perfect for your plane and banner. Thank you for entering our October Challenge at Chalk N Stock. DT Jearise

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous piece and a beautiful finish. Thank you for sharing it with us at The Mirror Crack'd and good luck with the challenge, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a fabulous make Donna!
    Thank you for joining my "candy" linky!
    Good luck in the draw!
    Susan
    Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!
    Candy post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This piece is so awesome, very beautiful yet creepy. Your coloring is amazing - like those bones on her - so detailed and fabulous. Love the charm and the combination of images. Thank you so much for playing in Dream In Darkness this month, hope to see you back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous project. Thank you for sharing with us at Altered Eclectics October Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a stunner. Your colouring is fabulous. Those poppies look fabulous as does the face and chest, and the dripping blood on her shoulders. A very atmospheric piece.

    Thanks for sharing with us

    Lin
    The Mirror Crack'd

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMGOODNESS Donna this another amazing piece you keep knocking them out of the ball park my friend

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!