Monday, July 20, 2015

New Challenge At Aurora Wings


Our new challenge starts today at the Aurora Wings Challenge Blog with the theme of "Anything with Wings".  This will be a 2 month long challenge as we are taking a break for the end of summer vacations and back to school preparations so it will run through September 19th.  It was tough choosing an image this time because there are sooo many gorgeous ones in the Aurora Wings shops, both Etsy and the Aurora Wings.com Digi Store, that fit this theme.  I finally settled on one that I've adored all along, but was a bit intimidated by, called What Dreams May Come. It features Little Elf Kia being carried through the air by a flight of dragonflies.  How MAGICAL!


Once I started coloring, I was pleasantly surprised.  Kia came together quite nicely, in fact she was a joy to color.  The trick is not to print the image too small, (mine is approx 6 1/2 x 6 1/2", yeah, I could have gone a bit smaller, but I be old and my eyesight is failing) and to start with the vines and leaves of the swing since they go right over the top of her curly hair.  I almost missed the tip of her little elf ear on the other side of the vine, initially coloring it as a leaf, but that's what colorless blender is for.  LOL  Here's a closeup.  All done with Copics.



The dragonflies are amazing, aren't they?  I chose two of my fave colorways for these critters that matched the colors I'd started with on Kia.  I've also added Glossy Accents to their eyes and Stardust Stickles to their wings.  I thought that a bit of cheesecloth gave some nice texture and reminded me of the pattern in their wings, as well.  Both DP's are old K&Co and the blue pattern has some glitter which led me to distress the edges of the paper with the edge of my scissors and Stickle around it too, but not until I'd filled in some of the white space with my dotty background around the images and inking the edges with Distress in Tumbled Glass.



The sentiment was computer generated, cut with a Spellbinders Label 4 and inked with Tumbled Glass Distress after embossing while still in the die.  The metal dragonfly was from a set of bug paperclips I got on clearance eons ago at Starbucks.  I freed him from the clip, stickled his wings, colored him with Copics and added some gem eyes.  I thought the yellow bow helped bring some of the color from the flowers (all Prima) to the top right of the design.  That's why I added the second pattern, as well.  It needed something to break up all that blue.  So aren't I the little chatty one today?  Can't help it.  I'm pretty proud of myself for not shying away from an image I thought would be too difficult and I'm more than pleased with the results.  Also, I've already seen the gorgeous creations by my DT Sisters so be sure to visit the Challenge Blog and prepared to be amazed.


Here are all the links you need:

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful card. Magnificent coloring on your original image. Bravo !
    Thanks for joining us at Paradise of Stamps.

    Hugs.
    Cat's sCrap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful card, great color combo, accents and layers. Thank you for joining us this week at HIMCR.

    Sue - HIMCR DT
    http://suek86401.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work, Donna! Honestly, I think this is the first time I see this image colored by anyone other than myself. LOL It does have intimidating detail ... lots of it, but you totally pulled it off! :D Love the oranges in the dragonflies and flowers to contrast with bright blue dress and ribbons on Kia. It's got that summer fresh feeling with sense of freedom. Love the layers, too. Thank you so much for creating such a gorgeous inspiration for our latest challenge at Aurora Wings!!

    Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna this is absolutely gorgeous...I love the colours that you've chosen to colour little Kia, the layout is great and all your finishing touches are fab too.
    Huge Hugz, Lorraine xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Donna love how you have done the dragonflies and perfect embolus, great to join you on the challenge blog this month :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the whimsy Donna! Great card - Thank you for sharing with us this week at Through The Craft Room Door. Looking forward to seeing you again next challenge.
    Warm Regards, Cara
    Through The Craft Room Door Owner
    TTCRD Challenge Blog
    My Creative Chaos {My Personal Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely coloring! Beautiful card. Thanks for playing with us at Crafting with an Attitude :) xx Mari

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful card. The image and colours are fabulous.
    Thank you for joining in with the Crafts Galore Encore July Challenge "Use a Stamp or Digi" and good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great make! Thanks for joining in the fun with us at Graph'It Marker Colouring Crazy Challenge and our theme of 'Use Two Tones'. Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great card . Thanks for joining us at graphit coloring challenge . Two tone. Good luck
    caroline dt

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so gorgeous, I like the image and the colours, Thank you for joining in with us at Graph'It colour crazy Challenge, Good Luck
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a sweet card! Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a fabulous and dreamy image, Donna! Love the flawless and contrasting coloring you did - just stunning!!
    Thank you so much for joining us at the Dream Factory with this gorgeous card.
    Rosi x

    ReplyDelete
  14. totally love
    Thank you for joining us in our *2 colour tones challenge at Graph’It Markers Colouring Challenge*
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Was für ein fantastisches Werk, klasse, danke dir für deine Teilnahme bei der Traumfabrik, liebe grüsse Bettina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful!

    Thanks for joining us at Dragonfly Dreams and I hope we see you again soon!

    Hugz

    Laurian
    Owner Dragonfly Dreams

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!