Monday, June 4, 2012

BBTB2 "Water" Challenge

This has been one hectic weekend and I must say I've crafted my little fingers to the bone.  Lots of posts today so if you're looking for the Smeared and Smudged Skull Appreciation Day Blog Hop click HERE (long hop, but loads of prizes, just sayin'), Haunted Design House click HERE, or you missed The Altered Alice on Sunday, click HERE.  Our hostess this week for BBTB2 is my dear friend and talented artist, Sandi Kelly and she's chosen a Water theme for this week's challenge.  I was excited to use my poor neglected Life's a Beach cart for almost everything.
Yup, it's a shaped front card using the Title Words to which I've added a bottom border (2 of the waves, welded and stretched to fit) and the happy shark frolicking above.  All this was welded to my fave rounded rectangle from George.
I was not, however, paying attention when I designed this and failed to notice just how weak the connection was between the already prewelded words in the Title.  (I was almost crafted out when I began this one on Sunday afternoon and this almost fatal design flaw nearly did me in.)  The front of the card was too flimsy to stand up, even with the full mat with the shark glued on and I was almost ready to throw in the towel but...WooHoo!  Instead of gluing the front and first mat together directly, I slipped a piece of acetate in between the layers and with a little trimming, problem SOLVED!
After all this I was this close to blowing off the layering, but who am I to disappoint?  Did a little bit of embossing with D'Vine Swirls and Swiss dots, and even managed to remember my little fishy brads and crabby eyelets before putting it all together.  There's load of fabulous water inspiration from the DT at BBTB2 so go have a look, leave some love, and play along.  We love it when you do.

27 comments:

  1. okay, that's just an awesome card! Love that shark too!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. You NEVER disappoint! Love it Girl...everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well I must say you put that LAB cart to fantastic use, love this fun fun card and your on a roll sweetie, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever using the acetate. This card is so cute, I would love to come spend a day with learning how to do cards like this, I just love them. You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. I love the acetate see through water- great card beautiful design and the layering is fantastic.

    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. squeeeee!! donna this is absolutely amazing!!! and I love that shark!!!!
    huge hugs Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is fantastic as always. Love the papers, embossing, layers and all the details. Love what you did with the acetate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a great problem solver. Your card turned out awesome I love all of the embossing

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a super cool card this is Donna! I'm glad the acetate worked to save this card. I love the title welded in the middle with the waves below and the shark above. I must give this a try! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous card -- and so clever to think to slip a piece of acetate in to add support!! Love how you laid out the design and all the detail and layering!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely - would look perfect on my friends table at her beach house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this wave card and maybe scraplifting it this week..so great and I agree I always forget that cart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Donna, I look forward to BBTB emails so I can see what your creative self has come up with and you never disappoint me. I just love what you do so keep on doing it as it always makes me smile and sometime laugh. I live in Aiken, SC (a friend of Susan's who is on this team with you) and we talk about your creativity all the time...thanks for sharing you amazing talents.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being from a tropical country, this looks perfect for our Summer time! :o)

    Happy Skull Day! Visit my blog if you have some time, there’s a giveaway for the blog hop!

    Kisses from Nydia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not skipping around. I'm going to look at every project you did this weekend.

    I really love this one. That shark cracks me up. Brilliant design, great execution, wonderful color scheme, and fun fishy embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well i am glad to hear you didn't throw in the towel.. i love this.. i have always loved your shaped cards.. no one does them like you do, and this is just simply a "DONNA" card.. What a great idea sticking in the acetate, you are too amazing (i will have to remember that little trick). hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh leader of the Chickie-chicks, I had to laugh when I read Julia's comment. So short but so correct!!! I truly like this card so much. Your clear layer is great as are your paper choices!!!
    xxSusan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute....Love the way u put the clear layer behind the design..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whaaat?...how did I miss leaving a comment on this neat neat card?.... I love the colors...so so sea-blue with those wonderful waves and that great sea creature floating above them.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  20. Donna you make the most amazing shaped cards!Just love sharkie!
    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete
  21. super fun! This is a perfect boy card, very bright and creative.

    -Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is amazing. I love the way you welded and layered it all. Such great colors for the words with the two colors of blue. Love the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL! That shark is having way too much fun to be intimidating...EVERYONE JUMP IN! Awesome color combo and dig those fishies!
    P.S....yes, it's really me commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks terrific---all that welding turned out just incredible, I love the shark at the top!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Donna, you know I love everything dimensional that you do...this one is no exception, I love everything about this!

    Hey, our sponsor at WW this week is Kenny K and they have a DT call right now...you would be a perfect fit with their sweet and sassy images. Check 'em out if you get the chance!

    :Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Honey Bunny,You better watch out your rockers going to break, yep if you keep rockin these challenges out. LOL,,,I love it..

    Hugs
    Penny

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!