Monday, August 18, 2014

Aurora Wings Challenge #6 Under the Sea


A new challenge at the Aurora Wings Challenge Blog starts today and the theme is Under the Sea.  I got a little carried away with my project, a tunnel book,and have gobs of pix, so sit back, relax, and hopefully enjoy.  And yes, I suggest you DO grab a cuppa, because even if you don't read all this, there is still LOTS to look at so...  As soon as Mitzi release the adorable Mer-tots, I knew I wanted to make some kind of book, and although I thought I understood the basic idea of a tunnel book, I'd never made one so I Googled it and found a fabulous 3 part tutorial on YouTube by Craft Knife Chronicles that helped me out with my construction.  Hers, however was all done with Graphic 45 papers so no coloring was involved.  This is my book standing open.  I wanted to give you the money shot right up front so hopefully you'd come see what it all was about.  LOL

But let's back track and take a look at the book closed.  Here's the front cover featuring Sea Turtle Kiss, the newest in the Mer-tot line.  The bold graphic DP is from the Gecko Galz Beachy Keen digital paper pack.  The book opens as a gate fold and the framed panel has hidden magnets that attach to the right side to keep it closed.  I've added 3 blue fish from JoLee's boutique to balance the design a bit.  The flexible sides are corrugated card stock.



Here's that Sweet Sea Turtle Kiss.  Isn't she adorable?  She also is available in the original version with 3 other turtles swimming around her if you prefer. I've colored her with Copics and given her a dotty background that reminds me of bubbles.

When you open the book, you can see the accordion structure that makes the tunnel for the scene.  DP for the accordion is Gecko Galz again, this time from the La Isla Bonita digi paper pack.  The inside cover DP is Graphic 45 Tropical Travelogue 8x8.  There are 3 layers plus the back and are a bit bowed when looking from the top, because it's difficult to cut everything exactly the same, but it doesn't really affect the dimension from the front.



So here we are head on again.  Each 8x8" frame was cut with Spellbinders Grands Labels in both solid card stock and more Gecko Galz DP.  The sand is actual sand paper that I've torn and attached from behind.  The scene features Aurora Wings Mer-Baby, The Gift, and The Secret, as well as Fancy Goldfish.

Here's Mer-Baby.  Just look at this little guy sucking his thumb!  Don't you just want to take a bite out if him, he's so yummy!?  He's popped from the front panel and I've snuck a little shell under the anemone.

In this corner we have The Gift.  I just realized after posting this picture that I forgot to add a pearl to his oyster.  Fixed now, but I'm too tired to take another.  This couple was the most difficult to anchor to the frame.  At first they were only attached by her hair and tail.  Some Magnolia die cuts, that I've also colored with Copics, helped stabilize them.  On the front panel is another die and more shells by JoLee's Boutique.



And finally, The Secret completes the scene.  Looks like they're whispering about the two lovebirds, doesn't it?  these gals are attached to a transparent panel that was printed with the same digi paper as the back, inverted and taped between the frames.  The fish you see in the background here, and in the previous pic, are actually on the back wall.  If you'll notice, I kept the color scheme fairly tight.  Both redheads have the same color tails as do the boys, and the Blonde girl matches the tail of the mermaid on the front.  

Even the fish are colored in the same hues.  I used Fancy Goldfish both in the background of the scene and on the inside panels.



Since I was taking these late at night (or should I say the wee hours of the morning) I had to used my light box and for some reason the colors of the fish only came out good at these angles.  Weird, huh?

Well, we're almost there.  Finally around to the back with more Gecko Galz digi paper and Whimsical Seahorse with Wings.  Originally I planned to use a tiny version of him in the inside scene, but I ran out of room.  LOL



Have to say, I almost left him off, but now I'm so glad I kept at it.  Isn't he magical?  Not the easiest to fussy cut, though.  LOL (but totally worth it!)

Well, thanks to all (any?) of you who made it though this mega post.  It took me almost as much time to write it as it did to make the project.  (Not hardly!)  I'm really pleased with it, though.  The whole team really brought their A Game this week so be sure to visit the Challenge Blog to see why we've been burning the midnight oil. Hope to see you join in, and if you finish your project before the end of the month, you can add it to the current Aurora Wings Mermaid Madness FB contest as well.  Don'tcha just LOVE a two-fer?

I'm adding this to the 613 Avenue Create ATG/no optional Twist, Come and Get It Fish or Fishing, TTRCD ATG Aug 12-18thDragonfly Dreams Inspired by a Book you Read as a Child or to a Child (The Little Mermaid), Color Me Scrappy (color challenge plus Ode to Summer and Eclectic Ellapu Seaside or Nautical

25 comments:

  1. An amazing project! Beautifully colored mermaids and such and great layering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tunnel card is fantastic ...loved seeing the fabulous coloring and all the aquatic themed details
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia
    Cards Crafts Kids Projects

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Stunning, Donna! Love all the dimension and your coloring is beyond superb, if there is such a thing. :-D Now, DT hat time -- We're honored to have you playing along in our Anything Goes challenge at Through the Craft room Door this week. Good luck and hope we see you again soon.
    NanaConnie DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are simply amazing! Your image and color choices here are just perfect. I must check out the tunnel card video. Your gift for composition and color integration is awesome and is matched by your impeccable attention to detail. Thanks for taking the challenge this week at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW love your Tunnel Card Donna it's totally amazing hun.
    Huge Hugz, Lorraine xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, you astound me with yet another amazing creation, Donna! I don't know how you managed to get this monster project done between the time you asked for the mer-tots images and the blog post. LOL It always makes me wonder what's in your plans when you ask for multiple images, but WOW. I'm blown away with this mind-boggling tunnel card! Love your artistry and sense of color!!

    Big hug,
    Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW Donna that is absolutely beautiful! Love all the mer-people and water creatures!! Stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Donna, thanks for sharing this incredible project with us! I love how you've used the different images to tell a story and your image merging is so clever too! I will have to check out that video but will never have the time to produce something as amazing as this!

    Thanks for joining us at Dragonfly Dreams and I hope we see you again soon!

    Hugz

    Laurian
    Owner Dragonfly Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always amazed at your coloring, and the images you choose, but this is nothing short of spectacular. You colors are perfect, and the combinations are just right. Thanks for sharing with us over at Come and Get It,
    Oh did I say I love it.
    Cindy Dt

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's not much else to say other than echo what everyone else has said. It really is lovely. Your coloring skills are beautiful. Thank you for joining us at Come And Get It challenge. Bunny DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Donna, This is just amazing. I can only imagine the time it took to create something this detailed and lovely.

    I also want to thank you for posting my Coordinator Call / Blog Candy badge on your side bar. I will be picking the winners later today and wish you the best of luck.
    :) Chris / CS Designs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow awesome project hun love it and thanks for the detailed explanation too - thanks for sharing with us at Dragonfly Dreams Playground hugs Judith DT x

    ReplyDelete
  13. such an awesome project!! Thanks so much for joining us at Color Me Scrappy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Donna, "WOW" is all I though when I had the first look at your project! It's absolutely amazing...

    Thank you soo much for taking part in our "fish or fishing” challenge & good luck in the draw…
    Hope to see you again in our next challenge as well…

    Hugs,
    Melanie
    (DT Come and Get It)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning project!! So many images that you have coloured so beautifully. It's truly amazing. Thank you for joining us this week at Crafty Sentiments 'Back to School' challenge. Kerry, DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful sea scene. Love the colours and your layout. Thank you for joining us at Come and Get IT this week. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a fantastic creation, great images & love your design!
    Glad that you could join us for the challenge at Come And Get It…..hope to see you back soon!

    ¸..• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))*((¸¸.•´ ..•´
    Shell in Alaska ~ CAGI DT ~
    http://akstamping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a different DT hat on today but I still adore this project. Amazing colouring and a fantastic amount of work you've put into it. Thank you for joining us at CAGI challenges this week. Kerry, DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is an amazing creation. it must have taken a long time to make but totally well worth it. Your coloring is gorgeous and the coolor combo is superb. Totally cool! So glad you joined us in our Challenge at 613 Avenue Create. Please join us again tomorrow as we begin another challenge. Hugs and blessings always!

    JO ANN
    http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is absolutely amazing!!! I love all of your details and colors!
    Thanks for playing along with CMS!
    e.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh My Gosh! This is just too wonderful for words! I cannot believe all of the images and effort that went into this - but WOW, the results are spectacular! You awe and inspire me every time I visit your blog!!!

    Glad you are safe and missed the quake!

    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely creation hun - TFS with us over @ Eclectic Ellapu this month.
    Elaine aka Ellapu

    ReplyDelete
  23. You were very inspired ! Beautiful project ! thank you for playing at CMS !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!