Saturday, March 9, 2013

Smeared Ink DT Throwdown Entry for HDH


This month launches a new challenge on the Smeared and Smudged Forum:  DT Throwdown.   Read all about it HERE.  I'm competing with fellow Haunted Design House Minions Creepy Glo and Mark for the honor and bragging rights.  The first challenge is Paint and Splatter, WAAAAY out of my comfort zone but I'd pretty much already agreed so...here it is.

Thought it might be nice to do an Easter project so I started with a papier mache egg.  Umm... now what?  Seems like everyone starts with gesso, so I thought, why not?  Then a coat of purple acrylic and I set it aside to dry overnight.  Oh yeah, THAT'S why I don't do much painting.  Waiting for stuff to dry isn't my forte.

Next came some Tim Holtz Crackle in Picket Fence.  I had no idea how thick that stuff is (or is it that it's been in my drawer too long?)  anyway, it WORKED like magic.  WooHoo!  Now for the splatter.  I started with some watered down acrylic in lime and a toothbrush with minimal sucess so I brought out the big guns:  Dylusions spray in teal...yummy!


Every Easter (or should I say "Creepster") project needs someting pink and fuzzy, don'tha think? OOOH, it's the Creepster Bat! from Smeared Inks A Little Bit Batty set, or as a single HERE, printed a bazillion times, fussy cut and flocked.  His beady little eyes are just that, beads.


He's layered up for dimension and seems to be just bursting out of that egg, "bringing every girl and boy, baskets full of Creepster joy."


Which started like this, covered wire and raffia.  I promise never to make light of basket weaving again, EVER!  Eiyiyi!


"Things to make your Creepster bright and gay".  Honestly, who wouldn't just love a litte basket of pastel skullies?  Oh, and I've got to mention his furry little legs.  I only had thick and thin pipe cleaners in black (which looked a bit harsh) so I flocked them too, using hairspray as an adhesive.  Pretty cute, eh?  Necessity is truly the Mother of Invention.

So I guess I've fulfilled the requirements of paint, spatter and stamping (either rubber or digi) and I've had a ball.  Please come visit the DT Throwdown HERE at the Smeared and Smudged Forum to view the fab entries.  Deadline is Sunday, and Monday begins the 5 day voting process.  The votes are for individual projects with the total of the three participating DT member's offerings determining the winner. Go HDH!!!!!  You must be a registered member of the forum to vote, so what are you waiting for?  Cheer your fave team on and find a bunch of fun monthly challenges and fab, friendly, supportive, talented people to boot.

I'm also entering this in the very first Left of Center Challenge, a brand new "alternative crafting" challenge blog where the theme is "Anything Goes," if your project is a bit "different", or Button and Bows, if you prefer the mainstream sort of thing.  Thank you to my dear friend Vee who is on the DT and alerted me to this fab new challenge blog.

23 comments:

  1. OH MY!!This is AWESOME!! LOVE the pink flocked bat!! So inspired and brilliantly creative! And the frigging basket weaving!! Do your talents ever stop? I am so glad we're on the same team!! Go HDH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOAH! Words fail me ... what a masterpiece! Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is one awesome bat Donna, love the crackle on the egg too
    looks great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Crap Donna, you have knocked it out of the park, that is fekin awesome. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a funky and scary idea - wonderful contribution to the challange at LoCCC. Hope to see you there again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Donna! this is beyond amazing! I love everything about it FABULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know WHAT you were worried about Donna! This is amazing!! That bat is the business in the flocking and I adore that little basket. Go girl, Go!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the one fan said "words fail me". This is freaky awesome.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is fabulous. All sorts of great details. That layered paper bat is amazing. I love his beady little eyes. I also love your little basket filled with little skully beads.

    Very cool project indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YaY Donna.. this sooooo rocks !!! AWESOME xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no idea where to begin this is a complete tour de force, Donna. I don't know what bit I love more, the amazing basket, the fabulous egg or the most brilliant bat EVER! But all together? I am completely blown away by this piece it is beyond superlatives. I think it is one of the best creations I have ever seen. I hope you enter it everywhere. Finally thank you for the mention, my friend and I am delighted you chose to share this masterpiece at Left of Centre Creative Challenges. Vee xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG!!! This is fricken fabulous. From the fuzzy bat to the crackled egg AND you made an itty bitty basket! I'm so glad you shared this project with us over at Left Of Center as well. Good Luck with the DT throw down :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! The face on that bat is eerily cute and amazing job on the flocking. The basket gives me major anxiety just thinking about the anxiety you must have had putting it together. LMAO! Texture on the egg turned out GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot even find words, this is absolutely amazing, you rock it sweetie, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Donna had to stop by and tell you how much I love this...it's amazing! So many fab techniques but I LOVE your fuzzy pink bat!
    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Donna!!! What a great creation. Love all the work and attention to detail you put into this piece. The bat looks scary real...the pink fuzzies add to that illusion. The egg and the basket are spectacular also. Yikes...you rocked this challenge. You will be getting one of my DT throwdown votes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay this is amazing!!! I totally love it! and my son likes it and was creeped out by it so obviously you achieved your creepster goal! LOL
    Thanks for joining us at Left of Center Creative Challenges :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW this is brilliant, What a great creation, Love it, Hazelxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always love your art Donna this is fantastic.
    hugs
    susan s

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is totally awesome. I love it the in the egg and the bat wings. Do you think it will scare the kiddies ?
    Super fun design
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Anything Goes March Linky Party
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Donna,

    Thank you so much for you fabulous comment on my Decaying Zombie Head. I absolutely love this project...the crackle on the egg is awesome and you are the Queen of Layers. I also wanted to let you know where I got those teeth from on my zombie http://www.partyamerica.com/product/zombie+makeup+kit.do?sortby=ourPicks&pp=60&size=all# this is the kit but I got it from Party City during Halloween time. They look much different dirtied up on my zombie. Thanks again and I'm sure you will be seeing more of these zombie head in the future.

    Carol (Carol's Creations)
    http://www.4evercarolscreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!