Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bah! Humbug! Snowflake Challenge


This week the Bah!Humbug! Challenge is Snowflakes. Believe it or not, CA is experiencing some very unseasonable weather, including snow in the Sierras and hail right near here, so this was not a stretch. I wanted to do something a bit different so my card fits a legal size envelope. The white mat was embossed by one of the bazillion snowflake folders I own and it does say Cuttlebug on it, but where it came from is anybody's guess. (A bundle, an exclusive? Who knows?) The oval is cut with my Nesties Mega Ovals LG. The snowflakes are cut from Grafix ShrinkFilm in both the White and Matte. I have found this brand works better than the brand carried at my M's and it's available in other colors (including clear for stamping) at Custom Crops. The snow flakes were cut in 2 sizes (sorry I don't remember exactly) on my Cricut using the Very Merry Tags cartridge. I added a second hole opposite the first on each snowflake using DS so I could string them together. You need a new mat, sharp blade, and multiple cuts (I think I did 4 or 5) to do this successfully with the Cricut, but I think the results are well worth it. However, it was way too time consuming to make as many as I needed for a snowflake garland for a mini tree which was my original idea, so they ended up on a card.

Here's a better view of the embossing and you can see how the snowflakes are tied together with ribbon and attached to the embossed mat. The center matte snowflake sort of takes on the color of the cobalt foil behind it, but I still think it's pretty. Finally I added some cobalt adhesive gems to the center and called it done. Many of you are complaining about bad weather recently, so why not go with it and join the Christmas challenges at Bah!Humbug!? Trust me, come December, you'll be glad you did and the Design team and participants are always full of inspiration. Couldn't you use a little Christmas spirit?

8 comments:

  1. a really great card. thanks for joining us @ bah! humbug! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. phew been so busy this week my feet have hardly touched the ground. I only hope Mr Blogger doesn't loose my comments on people's cards like he did last week that was a nightmare.
    Donna yet again you've blown me away - such an elegant fun card. Oh I just love it.
    Ann xxx
    Bah! Humbug! DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure....tease us with a tree and then give us a card! LOL! LOVE the look of this, girl! I noticed the thickness of the snowflakes right away and the effect of the blue foil behind that clear one is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, girlfriend!!! What a pretty card!

    It's been a while -- sorry about that but life kept getting in the way! Glad to see all's going well with you and you're creatively crafting...lol!!!

    It'll probably take some time but I'll be working on catching up on all the wonderful things you've done!

    Anyway, wanted to say "hi" and give you some love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooooh ... how cool is this? I may have to 'borrow' the idea for snowflake garlands to decorate the tree this year. They'd be fantastic and well worth the effort. Thank you for sharing with us at Bah! Humbug!

    Luv'n'Stuff
    Max
    xx
    Max's Craft Creations
    Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna this card is so so pretty. I love snowflakes. I really need to start getting in on the humbug challenges. It would be a great way for me to get my Christmas cards done early.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card Donna. Love that embossing folder and what you did with the shrink film!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!