Wednesday, April 29, 2015

My First Domino Book!


I've been dying to try a domino book for ages and this month's new Gecko Galz Pretty Peacocks Dominoes and Squares finally got me rolling.  I basically followed a tut by Laura Carson to make an accordion fold version.  Here's the front with an added crown that I bejeweled and some fab metal roses.  

Inside I found that printing the images on copy paper, instead of card stock kept the folded pages less bulky.  I also did score at a full 1" instead of the 7/8" Laura suggested for the images to fit better and it still didn't stick out too far beyond the dominoes.

I used more of the glorious peacocks on the back, as well.  I painted the dominoes with metallic gold acrylic paint and added stickers to the edges that I colored with a permanent Bic marker.  I also colored pearls with a marker to add to the bottom as feet.

Finally, here's the back side.  I did print these two images on card stock, rather than the thinner paper to add to the front and back as it was easier to glue without wrinkling.  I added some gems to the feather and trimmed the images, both front and back, with more stickers.  The ribbons to close the book were attached to the domino backs before gluing the pages in place.  There are tons of Jewel It collage sheets  in every theme imaginable, available at Gecko Galz and sized perfectly for these tiny books, as well as for jewelry, etc.  The images can also be enlarged for cards, too.  I've always been fascinated with tiny things and this was so much fun, I can't wait to do another.

Come join the GG FB Challenge Group for 5 fun challenges each month, and don't forget our Monthly Challenge and inspiration on the Gecko Galz Blog, as well.

I'm entering this in the Gecko Galz FB Group April ATG Challenge, the DL.Art April Linky Challenge, Crafting by Designs May ATG, Simon Says Monday ATG, Simon Says Wednesday ATG, TTRCD April 28-May 4 ATG, Not Just Cards Challenge #18, All Crafts Challenge April/May Anything but a Card, and Crafty Boots things With Wings.

5 comments:

  1. Ooooo! This is so opulent and splendid! I bet this just shimmers and shines all over the place in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! you really poured a lot of heart and time into this beautiful project! the colors are magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited to have you join us over at Crafty Boots and your domino book is just gorgeous. I love those metal flowers on the front. Thanks for joining at Crafty Boots Challenges this time. Your GG sister x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning, All of those fabulous peacocks and the rich metalic trim - I love the crown. Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful domino book. Very elegant. Thank you for joining us at Not Just Cards this week. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!