Monday, April 21, 2014

Aurora Wings Challenge 2


We gals at Aurora Wings were thrilled with the turnout for our very first challenge and are excited to announce Challenge 2 today.  Our theme this time is MONOCHROMATIC.


Color schemes that are derived from a single base hue, and extended using the shades, tones and tints of that hue.


I've chosen the beautiful Steampunk Girl with Doll.  She's also available with a full background HERE.  Have to say she is about the most challenging digi I've ever colored but I'm very pleased with the outcome.  I've used about every E shade of Copics I own in keeping with the Steampunk feel.  My original plan was to decoupage her a bit, but after several days of coloring, I just added a small Prima rose (colored with Copics to match) and some pearls to her hat and earrings and called her done.  She's fussy cut and popped atop one side of a story book I cut with my Cricut using the My Community cartridge.



The other side has a variety of Steampunk die cuts from Tim Holtz and Spellbinders  grunged up a bit with Distress Ink and Rub'n Buff.  the metal bits are also Tim Holtz with flowers from Petaloo and Prima.  The hand crocheted antique doily came from a collection I brought home from my Mother-in-law's who passed away on Christmas.


Here's the dimensional shot.  The ruffled zipper trim at the bottom of her dress is from Melissa Frances and I dyed some adhesive crocheted lace with Distress Ink for the final layer underneath.  The book pages were distressed on the edges and stamped with a huge Heartfelt Creations script stamp (but only the edges of it) to look like the center of the text had been cut out.  The DP's are DCWV.  It's been awhile since I've done something this involved but I'm thrilled with how it came out.  My DT Sisters all have amazing creations so please visit the Aurora Wings Challenge Blog to view their gorgeous projects and scroll down to see the fabulous winners of Challenge 1.  Hope to see you all again for our second challenge.

I'm entering this in the Simon Says Monday Big Stamp challenge (the large script stamp on the edges of the book pages), Fairytale Stampers Bingo Challenge (using lace, ribbon (the bookmark) and pearls), Crafty Catz "B" is for (brown or book), PunkYouGirl Lavish Lace, Really Reasonable Ribbon Monochrome and Ribbon, SanDee and amelie's Favorite Technique Goes Steampunk (3 dimensional shaped projects using die cuts, digis and metal bits and bobs), 613 Avenue Create ATG, Love to Create Monochromatic with a Ribbon Twist, and Left of Center ATG Dark themed, and Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers "E" is for Embellishment (couldn't miss a challenge there, even if this one isn't snarky).

31 comments:


  1. This is just gorgeous Donna, love the colours and your design is beautiful.
    Hugs Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna this is just a simply stunning creation, I love the beautifully coloured image, the design and all your fabulous finishing touches too.
    Huge Hugz, Lorraine xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastically stunning Donna.
    You have coloured her just as a steampunk image should be, it is amazing, and love all the embellishments.
    Janet xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You win!! This is so stunning! The colors are monochrome perfection! I love the addition of that zipper trim and the pearls, and the flower. So 3D! Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, this is SO AMAZING!!!
    Can't define what I love most on this gorgeous project, the great coloring or all those little details like the gears, the clock, the little key, the flowers...!!
    But most of it all I guess I like the ziper below her dress - fantastic idea!!

    Best wishes,
    Karola

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous project! Love the steampunk theme and beautiful soft color palette! Thanks for joining along with the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the most amazing thing I've ever seen, Donna! So detailed and elaborate in every detail, and executed to perfection. I love the coloring, of course, but the little touches like the zipper frill, tinted lace, pearls, and the flower added to the image as 3D elements are just awesome. Big hugs, Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for that dimensional shot, Donna!

    It made me want to touch your awesome Steampunk creation and find out more about all the wonderful layers and textures! The colouring is brilliantly done and I love the monochromatic theme too!

    Thank you so much for playing with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW WOW WOW - I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this! AMAZING job of colouring and the detailing us absolutely perfect!
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning my friend, just stunning!
    :Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic and a great steampunk entry. Your zipper detail gives a lively dimension to the dress. Huge color work and good shades of brown.

    Thank you for showing us this on Sandee & Amelie's Steampunk Challenge.

    Hugs
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow
    Your card is so amazing
    Very nice coloration.
    Thank you that you join in the Fairytale Stampers
    hugs
    Manu

    ReplyDelete
  13. Donna, this is just amazing, I am in awe of your talents. I love the colours, the pages have such details and dimension.. it is such a fabulous project. Hugs xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beyond stunning project, I love the colors and layout!
    Thanks for joining us at Love to Create!
    ♥ Sandra ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Donna, this is amazing!! I love your monochromatic coloring, looks so fabulous! I could sit and look at the detailed coloring all day. lol Love it, love the dimension, love the extras-just love it! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. And here I am again :-D

    Didn't notice before, that you take part in our challenge at Fairytale Stampers ;-)

    So thank you so much for joining us with this really, really great work!!!

    xx Karola xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for joining in with our current challenge over on the PunkYouGirl challenge blog. Challenge #11 is Lavish Lace.

    Donna I absolutely LOVE your work and this is totally stunning! Your colouring of that brilliant image is just breath taking...you have made it look like a photograph as the colouring is so amazing. Love the mix of papers and the diecuts. You really are a VERY talented lady!!!

    I hope you will continue using your dark side and join us again for our future monthly challenges, there’s always great prizes to be won.
    <3 & hugs
    Lisa xxxx PYG DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  18. Donna, this is an amazing piece of art! Steampunk is one of my favs and you have done it justice. Keep your Steampunk alive. You are a natural.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW that is stunning, she is coloured so beautifully and I love the ruffled zip, thanks for joining us at Crafty Catz. Jac x

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so gorgeous! Your coloring is amazing, and the layering is phenomenal. Thanks for dropping this off on our doorstep this week at 613 Avenue Create!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow das ist ja groĂźartig geworden
    Hab lieben Dank fĂĽrs mitmachen bei Fairytale Stampers
    GrĂĽĂźle Tamesis

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a stunning project! Absolutely love your coloring and all of the different elements you used to create this beauty. Especially love how you used the doily (something made by a loved on)!
    Thank you for joining our Monochromatic with a Ribbon Twist Challenge at Love to Create this week.
    Ruza, LTC Admin/Designer
    Ruza's Craft Corner

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! This is awesome! Love the coloring and the beautiful details.
    What a wonderful project, all of the details are stunning!It's very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Hey Donna....thanks for coming back to play with the sisters for the embellishment challenge. The project doesn't have to be snarky - I find my snarkiness just naturally exists in the craftroom lol.
    Another fantastically awesome project sistah!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It may not be snarky, but wow, is it awesome! I love the design and dimension. So glad you joined us at The Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It doesn't need to be snarky to play along with the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers, and this amazing creation is perfect just as is! Look at all the layers, and texture, and embellies! Thanks for playing along with the Sisterhood again!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this! The detail is amazing and I love the coloring. Fantastic Job! I would like to know if you pieced it by hand with diecuts or was the book a kit that you purchased? It is so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  28. schöne gestaltung und die vorgaben des bingos sind erfüllt.
    danke fĂĽr die teilnahme bei den fairytale stampers.

    glg meggi

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely gorgeous! Your detailed work and use of embellishments is perfect. Thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Donna, this is simply superb! I love the piece of crocheted doily (what a wonderful way to honor her!) and your colouring...MWAH! Gorgeousness! I always love seeing what beauty you come up with - snark TOTALLY optional!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!