Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Burtonesque Dolls Sweeny Todd Challenge



WooHOO! I got my Simply Betty Stamps in time to use them on this week's Burtonesque Dolls challenge! The inspiration this week is Sweeny Todd, who if you remember, did more than a shave and a haircut with his razor while his gal pal Mrs. Lovette baked some fab meat pies with the remains. (EEEK!) I remember going to see this movie on Christmas Day. Hmmm, not in keeping with the usual holiday festivities, eh? Anyway, I just HAD to use Betty for this and took my coloring inspiration from Betty herself (and the pic from the movie). The challenge is actually to use cutting and distressing tools and I jumped at the chance to use my Zutter Distress-it-All (thanks Glenda for the great price on this!) to grind the edges of just about EVERYTHING here. The DP is Basic Grey, the weird textured stuff is Sizzix Little Sizzles Textures I got at Custom Crops. I used my MS Spiderweb Punch Around the Page topped by the coolest EVER May Arts Ribbon I found at my LSS. The lamp post is Cottage Cutz die, available at The Scrapping Cottage, spritzed with my home brew shimmer mist. I was trying to create a Victorian London scene and the bloody cobblestone street is embossed with the Cuttlebug Tiny Mosaic folder and topped with MS Drippy Goo enhanced with Glossy Accents. (EEEEWWW!)

HeeHee! This was sooo much FUN! Here's a view of the dimension. Now I know some of you are hesitant to join in at The Burtonesque Dolls because you don't think you can follow the theme. I find that the BEST part of the challenge, but if you read closely, all you really HAVE to do is use your cutting and distressing tools so why not give it a try? New challenges come out every Tuesday.

21 comments:

  1. Your card is awesome! Just got my stamps too. Woohoo! I'm going to try and get a card made for the challenge today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna,
    I'm back and for good I hope.
    This card is fabulous. I love the colours you have used and the way you have layered the image. Great work.
    Hugs,
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome card Donna, love all those added details. Seems like it was a lot of work too. Good luck on the challenge.

    Hugz, xx

    ~L~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply awesome.... That color choice of the eye popping red and the image with embellies just finishes up a fantastic card.
    Hugs
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  5. D-
    Oh - this is deliciously spooky! Great job with so many layers. Your attention to detail is simply fabulous. Love the spider web and the glossy accents.
    NJB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Donna!!! How cool is this card?!!! The Texture looks like crocheted or knitted material when you zoom in on it. I had to go back and read to see if you actually did some needlework! And I always love how you layer-layer-layer; it always gives your cards such depth. This is a fabulous card, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow fab card, it looks as though so much has gone into it and looks brilliant for it x

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG this in one super awesome card Donna! I love it! You are a gal after my own heart! Thank you for joining us this week at The Burtonesque Dolls!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous!! You've always got the most creative ideas with just the right tools to bring everything together into an extraordinary creation. I found the card reminded me of a scene from Jack the Ripper - which is a compliment as you were going for a Victorian England look. I LOVE the lamp post. Great, great job Donna!!
    (I followed the link to the challenge site. What great creations!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh....look at you going all 3-D!

    Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow another stunning card you do come up with some lovely ideas for cards.
    Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donna - I love this - you have the Burtonesque Dolls Down my dear!!! Gorgeous and creepy all at the same time! TFS!
    MelissaMade

    ReplyDelete
  13. eek...love it. the ribbon is gorgeous....and the glossy accent on the blood....i am adding that to my male hardcore card....hehehe.
    what is the red background?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Cool card. I love the red spider web. Great job as always.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it the stamped image, great colors! The drippy, oozing blood is pretty cool...especially on a card!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is there anything you CAN'T do? You never cease to amaze me. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulously quirky card - a seriously awesome job!
    Thanx soo much for joining us in the Doll House this week!
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome! Love the blood red that you used and the addition of the lamppost is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You watched this movie on xmas day?!! OMG!! That's kinda funny. OMG this card is FABULOUS!! I love every detail and so many details make up this card. Wow!!! Ooooooh aaaaahhhh. Thanks for joining us dolls at TBD challenge this week!
    Hugs!
    Eulanda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy smackeroos...look at htis card...you sooo rocked the challenge with this girlie!!! Look at the texture alone...it speaks BURTON STYLE!!! Thanks for joining us for the challenge.....hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fabulous glimpse into the macabre, Donna!! Love everything about it!
    hugs!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!